Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Death penny

Article about: 19 years old and just before wars end. PRIVATE ERNEST DUDBRIDGE Service Number: 18534 Regiment & Unit/Ship Somerset Light Infantry 11th Bn. Date of Death Died 23 October 1918 Age 19 year

Default WW1 Death penny

19 years old and just before wars end.

PRIVATE
    ERNEST DUDBRIDGE
    Service Number: 18534
    Regiment & Unit/Ship
    Somerset Light Infantry
    11th Bn.
    Date of Death
    Died 23 October 1918
    Age 19 years old
    Buried or commemorated at
    TOURNAI COMMUNAL CEMETERY ALLIED EXTENSION
    II. J. 12.
    Belgium
    Additional Info
    Son of Charles and Francis Sarah Dudbridge, of 11, Orange St., St. Paul's, Bristol.
    Personal Inscription
    TILL THE TRUMPET SOUNDS NOT DEAD BUT SLEEPETH R.I.P. MOTHER

Casualty Details | CWGC
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Death penny   WW1 Death penny  

A lovely plaque. It's a shame these are so often separated from the medals.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    A lovely plaque. It's a shame these are so often separated from the medals.

B.B.
    I agree. Personally I think it’s quite sad when medals leave the family, especially when they are relatively low value ones (financially speaking). I understand people not wanting to keep an old uniform or having the space for a helmet but medals are the sort of thing that don’t take up a lot of room and can be stuck at the back of a drawer if you don’t want them on display. I’m very lucky to have two of my Great Grandfathers WW1 medals, my paternal and maternal Grandfathers WW2 medals and my fathers medals.
    As for this death penny, I recently inherited it. It’s not my usual collecting area and it’s not a relative, however, it’s an important piece of history and I’ll keep hold of it.

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I agree. Personally I think it’s quite sad when medals leave the family, especially when they are relatively low value ones (financially speaking). I understand people not wanting to keep an old uniform or having the space for a helmet but medals are the sort of thing that don’t take up a lot of room and can be stuck at the back of a drawer if you don’t want them on display. I’m very lucky to have two of my Great Grandfathers WW1 medals, my paternal and maternal Grandfathers WW2 medals and my fathers medals.
    As for this death penny, I recently inherited it. It’s not my usual collecting area and it’s not a relative, however, it’s an important piece of history and I’ll keep hold of it.
    I couldn't agree more. It's good for us collectors that so many sets of medals are available, but given every medal on the likes of eBay has been essentially discarded by the recipient's family, it does tinge it with sadness somewhat. All the more tragic that dealers often sell different parts of a medal grouping separately, a practice aimed solely at making more money, when those items are very unlikely to ever be together again.

I was extraordinarily lucky recently. Several months after purchasing a WWI medal group, I was contacted via the forum by a living relative of the recipient who had discovered more photographs and paperwork in a cupboard. It included the recipient's son's naval records and handwritten letters, among other things. We worked out a price and he posted the lot to me. Sadly things like this are the exception rather than the rule, and the chances of that ever happening again are slim to none.

It is a shame that death pennies on their own aren't always easily traceable. All the more tragic that they are frequently separated from the associated medals.

B.B.

I have just received some more photographs from my auntie (following the passing of my uncle) and amongst them were the following photos of Ernest Dudbridge and his grave. I was under the impression that he wasn’t a direct relative of my uncle, however, now I’m not so sure (unfortunately my uncle had no known living relatives when he passed.)
    I’m not sure how old he is in the photo but he looks little more than a boy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Death penny   WW1 Death penny  

WW1 Death penny   WW1 Death penny  

Last edited by Grimebox; 06-21-2021 at 01:07 PM.

I have my Great Uncles Death Penny but unfortunately not his medals sadly. Really not sure where they went

Always make me feel melancholy when you see when some of these young tommies died. Ernest Dudbridge was so very close to the end of the war. Not even his old home still stands today. Time marches on but at least he gets a memorial here on the forum. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 06-21-2021 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo

Hello Grimebox,

I hope you do not mind me posting Ernest Dudbridge's Medal Index Card for you the back was blank :

WW1 Death penny

click on the photo to enlarge in a new page.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Under the Register of personal effects:

WW1 Death penny

Ernest Dudbridge
    Death Date: 23 Oct 1918
    Death Place: France and Flanders
    Enlistment Place: Bristol
    Regiment: Somerset Light Infantry
    Battalion: 11th Battalion
    Regimental Number: 18534
    Type of Casualty: Killed in action