Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 death plague name difference

Article about: Have found a death plaque online that I just wanted to check with people. My only query with it is the middle name on it differs by 1 letter and was wondering if this sort of thing did happe

Default WW1 death plague name difference

Have found a death plaque online that I just wanted to check with people. My only query with it is the middle name on it differs by 1 letter and was wondering if this sort of thing did happen. I can only find one casualty with the name, but wondering if just a error when it was made.

Any thoughts?

Dave

It's not uncommon, especially where a surname is hard to pronounce or has multiple spellings. For example, the surnames Johnson/Jonson. I've never seen such a mismatch myself, but given how many soldiers perished in the Great War, a few mistakes here and there were bound to be made.

Regards, B.B.

Thanks

It is the middle name that is slightly incorrect, Lister on the plaque but seems it should be Lester. How could the error affect the providence of the item?

I honestly have no idea. It may appeal to some collectors. To others, it may not. If the soldier's middle name is misspelt, but his other names, rank and regiment are the same, it's highly unlikely - but not impossible - that it would belong to someone else.

B.B.

Post the full name on the plaque. It would help understand it,is it a common or unique name?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by BarneyDave View Post
    Have found a death plaque online that I just wanted to check with people. My only query with it is the middle name on it differs by 1 letter and was wondering if this sort of thing did happen. I can only find one casualty with the name, but wondering if just a error when it was made.

Any thoughts?

Dave
    What are you checking it against, just the VDK Grabersuche?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Post the full name on the plaque. It would help understand it,is it a common or unique name?
    The name on plaque is Reginald Lister Speake, but only casualty I can find is Reginald Lester Speake

In that case, I'd say it likely was a mistake. 'Lister' and 'Lester' sound very much alike when spoken aloud.

B.B.

in this case, as he is the only R Speake then it was a spelling mistake at the foundry, which did happen, though not often and when it did they were sometimes returned for correction or replacement.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

On the subject of bad spelling, he even has two medal cards !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 death plague name difference   WW1 death plague name difference  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast