Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Era Letter Written by American Band Member (speaks of U boats, German Fighter planes overhead etc.)

Article about: This letter was written by George Phillips Martin. He was born on November 13th 1892 in Baltimore, Maryland. he would enlist into the military on June 29th 1917. He would be transferred to t

Default WW1 Era Letter Written by American Band Member (speaks of U boats, German Fighter planes overhead etc.)

WW1 Era Letter Written by American Band Member (speaks of U boats, German Fighter planes overhead etc.)
    This letter was written by George Phillips Martin. He was born on November 13th 1892 in Baltimore, Maryland. he would enlist into the military on June 29th 1917. He would be transferred to the 59th infantry Band. The letter reads:

“France
    July 3rd 1918

Dear old pal, Walt: I received a letter from you sometime ago. I had written to you before this, so I am writing just when I have a chance “old top”. How are you by now Walt? We have a — of a time trying to speak the lingo over here. We are not far from the line, we get our chance at it soon I suppose. The sooner we all get to it the sooner it will all be over.

*Next page*

Pretty country, Walt, but nothing like the old US. I guess the U boats have the people around NY scared up a little. We did not see anything but water coming over. Believe me there was plenty of that. I did not get sick for a wonder. I expected to, tho. I was not disappointed, tho. By the time you get this (?) we will be doing “real work”. I think we are about ready for it now. “Old Jerry” comes over in his machines and makes us a visit quite often, but not many go back.

*next page*

Lots come over, Walt, but not many go back. You sure have to hand it to the aviators for nerve and everything else. It is wonderful how the handle their machines. I think there is going to be a big surprise for Germany soon in the way of our airplanes. We have an American YMCA with us now. I think it is going to follow us. Hope so. We can get American tobacco then. The French tobacco is too strong and the English is too mild. You smoke an English cigarette and you don’t know you’ve smoked. Have to smoke a pack to get the kick of one. But boy, the French tobacco has some kick to it.

*Next page*

Our canteen is out of tobacco but I have a couple of cans of P.A. and I hate to smoke them for fear I won’t get any more. Well, Walton, old top, if you see this and don’t hear from me for a while, don’t think I have forgotten you. We go into the real thing pretty soon now. Remember me to your father and your mother and all the fellows.

Good bye,

George
    59th U.S. Infantry Band
    American E.F. “

George would survive the war and would be discharged from the military on April 28th 1919. He would go on to live a long life and would pass away on October 16th 1985. He is buried in the Crumpton Cemetery in Crumpton, Maryland. He was 92.
    Last edited by Heartfeltzero; 07-10-2023 at 06:11 AM.

Interesting letter, really feels like you´re there when you´re reading it. Thank you for sharing!

Indeed, And no problem!