Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Era Letter Written by U.S. Serviceman in France. He mentions the Mud, Air Planes, Cannon Fire and more.

Article about: This letter was written by a James D. Martin. He was born on December 19th 1886 in Poughkeepsie, NY. He would be inducted into the Armed Forces on December 4th 1917 and would head overseas w

Default WW1 Era Letter Written by U.S. Serviceman in France. He mentions the Mud, Air Planes, Cannon Fire and more.

WW1 Era Letter Written by U.S. Serviceman in France. He mentions the Mud, Air Planes, Cannon Fire and more.
    This letter was written by a James D. Martin. He was born on December 19th 1886 in Poughkeepsie, NY. He would be inducted into the Armed Forces on December 4th 1917 and would head overseas with the A.E.F. on April 6th 1918. He would serve with the 305th Field Hospital, 302nd Sanitary Train. The role of the Sanitary Train was to provide medical care for the entire division through its ambulance and field hospital sections and Camp Infirmaries.

The letter reads:

“ Somewhere in France
    April 28, 1918

Dear Mary: We are not getting very much sunshine and underfoot is rather muddy, nevertheless the trees are all in bloom and the surrounding country is rich in soil and growing crops. In the distance can be heard the continual roar of cannon and daily the hum of air planes over head is a reminder that we are here for duty. The trip over although a long tiresome journey, passed pleasantly and quietly by the ever changing scenery and I will surely have a heap to tell you when I return. This section is beautiful and so is all of France. But war has reached out all over and every community has felt its savageness.

The troops that are battling are doing it valiantly and brilliantly and surely when there is honesty of real purpose, why it is easy to figure out the victor, and I think this unreasonable war will be over soon. Keep smiling and don’t worry. I am well and everyone in our company is in good shape. If the sun would only come out why things would dry up a bit and we could do many needful things. Our food is good and quantity likewise. There isn’t anything to worry about, (only the distance between us). Mary, so tell my mother and the rest that I am indeed happy. If possible send me some chocolates as it is really hard to get many sweets. Tell me how things are at home and other things you know, about you. I’ll be waiting to hear. Jim

305 Field Hospital, 302 Sanitary Train, A.E.F. “

James would survive the war and be Honorably Discharged on June 27th 1919 and would return home to his family. James would pass away on September 16th 1962. His wife, Mary, would pass away in 1965. They are both buried in the Saint Peter’s Cemetery in Poughkeepsie, NY.

Default Not the best resolution, but here is James (Jimmy) in his WWI Uniform.

And his Find-A-Grave's page: James D Martin Sr. (1887-1962) - Find a Grave Memorial Due to his pre-war newspaper printing staff's experience, on December 1, 1918, he was transferred to the Stars & Stripes (A.E.F. Soldier's Newspaper) Staff as a Field Agent and Circulation Manager until his return/discharge in June of 1919.

Best,

V/r Lance

P.S. Yes, they got his birth year wrong on his headstone, happens more often than one would think.