Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Era Photos & Letter Written by U.S. Serviceman in France. He writes about blood poisoning, German Treatment of POW’s, France, and much more.

Article about: The letter was written by Walter L Mays. He was born on October 8th 1891 in Texas. During the war, he served with Co A 316 Supply Train, 91st Infantry Division. Walter included some photos h

Default WW1 Era Photos & Letter Written by U.S. Serviceman in France. He writes about blood poisoning, German Treatment of POW’s, France, and much more.

WW1 Era Photos & Letter Written by U.S. Serviceman in France. He writes about blood poisoning, German Treatment of POW’s, France, and much more.
    The letter was written by Walter L Mays. He was born on October 8th 1891 in Texas. During the war, he served with Co A 316 Supply Train, 91st Infantry Division. Walter included some photos he took in the envelope with the letter. One photo shows a large group of French soldiers marching, the back of the photo states it was taken near Noyon, France. The other two photos show some of the transportation he used with his work. The letter reads:

“ Somewhere in France
    Aug 3, 1918

My dear sweet girlie:-

Well today is a nice day. Everybody is all right, no one killed so far. We are doing some fighting three times a day. We generally have to fight these English Tommies for something to eat such as it is. I suppose the folks around home are pretty busy just at the present time. How is the warm weather holding out? We have some good old Fresno weather right here in France and I suppose by the looks of things, we are to have it a little warmer. The English soldiers over here are glad to see us and they tell one another that the chances of them getting a furlough back to England looks good too. There are a lot of them that surely need a rest at their then, own homes and not in the army rest camp.

This country here is sure a nice place, just plenty of nice green trees and flowers just as nice as England. Well England is a nice place but it is a big difference in France and in England. Lee, I am certainly having a nice time with my right hand. I have a large Boyle on it and I have just had it operated on, talk about sore. Well it aches me up to my shoulder. I didn’t sleep much last night either. Well I suppose if I don’t get blood poison, it will be well in a short time. The ground here is so full of poison, a person who gets dust into a cut, stands a swell chance for blood poison or a lock-jaw stand.

Well sweetheart, these old French castles and large mansions are surely a nice sight to see, especially the large yards just filled with flowers and pretty lily ponds.

These French people can learn a lot of these American dough boys, how to talk English and a few other things. They are not so jealous as the English Tommies are. There are surely a great deal of wineries here but none of the soldiers have had a chance to do any sampling so far.

Oh yes darling, these little French children are certainly cute. They are always bowing and smiling. A great deal of them seem to have been taught English in a way that makes one laugh at their expressions.

The woman and old men here are a working lot just like England mostly, only the French don’t seem to farm so much as they should but they are making a big more in other lines of occupation.

Now darling, I’ll try to bring you a German helmet for a pin cushion but they are not as pictured anymore, they are just plain tin lids like ours. There are surely a big bunch here marching around, doing a little garden work and sleeping or reading most of the time. The Germans are worse to our boys when they capture them than what we are to theirs, we feed theirs and they don’t. Well darling, I must close now, my arm is not a bit better but I hope by tomorrow I will be able to do more with it. Some of our boys sure have a nice opinion of France and England. A great many have started a book on this war as they see it. Well darling, I must close now so take care of the cat and bull dog.

With love and best wishes,
    Always yours,

Walter.

P.S. tell my mother that I’ll write to her just as soon as possible. Probably in a day or so. Tell her that everything is fair and clear so far.

Walter. “

Walter would survive the rest of the war. He would pass away on April 8th 1961 aged 69 in California. He is buried in the Golden State National Cemetery.

Hi JB.

Great letter and photos. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Kind regards,

Will.

Another nice letter group. Interesting observation about the German helmets no longer being (as pictured). I wonder if he is referring to them not being painted in Mimikry camouflage but just plain green?

Hey Will,

My pleasure.

Good day,
    JB

- - ------- - -

I was wondering the same thing honestly.