Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Italian medal bar with WW2 British medal

Article about: hello all....just received this Italian medal bar for a WW1 vet, I believe these are all common awards but was attracted by the inclusion of the WW2 British war service medal.... thought I w

Default WW1 Italian medal bar with WW2 British medal

hello all....just received this Italian medal bar for a WW1 vet, I believe these are all common awards but was attracted by the inclusion of the WW2 British war service medal....

thought I would share the pictures but was wondering what situation led to a WW1 Italian vet receiving a WW2 British medal....I assume perhaps in cooperation in Sardinia, Sicily or the Middle East ?

bar includes
    * Italian WW1 War Merit Cross - original suspension replaced
    * Italy-Austria WW1 War medal
    * Italian WW1 Victory Medal
    * British Defense Medal WW2
    * Italian Unification Medal

front

back

MAP
    ?

Can't help on the question but looks like a nice bar! Congrats
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Strange of course IMHO.

Regards
    Santi

If original perhaps an Italian WW1 vet moved to Britain between the wars and served in the home guard. My be a stretch but would explain it IMO.

That's a British Victory Medal on the bar. It should be named on the edge. Can you let us know who it was awarded to? The medal rolls might be able to shed some light.

unfortunately, that one is not named.....as I look at it more, I think the WW1 vet had his medal bar expanded unofficially, hence the overlapping ribbons to make space but keeping the same length of the original suspension bar
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

Odd there is two British medals from two different ears right in the middle. Didn’t catch at first that the Victory medal was the British one (thanks Paul for pointing that out). Adds more intrigue. Looking forward to more thoughts