Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Newfoundland Regiment Lt-Col Hadows Tunic

Article about: Hi guys, I just thought i would ask if anyone here was interested in the 1st Newfoundland Regiment in WW1. I have a WW1 Service Dress jacket which belonged to Lt-Col Arthur Lovell Hadow C.M.

?

Default WW1 Newfoundland Regiment Lt-Col Hadows Tunic

Hi guys,

I just thought i would ask if anyone here was interested in the 1st Newfoundland Regiment in WW1.

I have a WW1 Service Dress jacket which belonged to Lt-Col Arthur Lovell Hadow C.M.G. He served in the Norfolk Regiment from atleast 1904 (when he was MID for Tibet) up until 1926. In 1915 he was transferred from the Norfolk Regiment to the 1st Newfoundland Regiment. The most note worthy time in Hadows career was when he commanded the Battalion on the 1st July 1916 at Beaumont Hamel, this is the Regiments most famous action in history where nearly all the Battalion was wiped out. He continued to be thier CO until 1918 picking up the C.M.G. Mentioned In Despatches twice and being awared the Order Of The Nile along the way.

Hadow is probably the most famous CO the Regiment has ever had andit was always said that "He made the regiment". Anyone who has heard of the Newfoundland Regiment will have heard about the 1st July 1916 slaughter and i feel proud to own the tunic of such a great man and leader. And it is probably the rarest and most historic tunic i will ever own.

I will post photos in about a week maybe less if anyone is interested......i will leave you with a photo of Lt Col Hadow...he is standing on the Left.

Donnie

?

Default Re: WW1 Newfoundland Regiment Lt-Col Hadows Tunic

You own a great piece of History mate , have you ever been to Newfoundland Park on the Somme where they made their ill fated attack on the 1st July ?

If you ever wanted to sell it the Museum there on the Newfoundlanders would surely take it off your hands, How did you come by it ?

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Hi mate,

Yeah i have been to Newfoundland Park, what an eerie place it is when you think what took place there 90 odd years earlier. Even stranger to imagin the man whos tunic i own to be standing on top of the trench shouting at the Germans and waving for his men to advance!....

I came by it via a gentleman who didnt know what he had and neither did i until i did some research after i purchased it. As for selling it to the Newfoundland Museum, i would love to at some point in the future (but i am going to enjoy it for a little while ) but i have no ideas of what it is worth....it would make a fantastic display...i am currently buying a few accesories to finish my display...

Here is a couple more photos of the great man.

He is the one on the right, taken at Sulva Bay Gallipoli:

Donnie

?

So he was with the Norfolks at Suvla !!!! This guy saw some serious combat action !!!

Was he part of the Lost Battalion i wonder ?? 5th Norfolks if i remember correctly !!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Hi mate,

He did see alot of combat. He fought in India, Afghanistan, Tibet, Gallipoli, Egypt, France and Belgium throughout his career. I believe he may have been part of the "lost Battalion" the 1/5th Norfolk Regiment because both the 1/4th and the 1/5th landed in Gallipoli at the same time (10th August).....Hadow was quickly made Staff Captain (even though he was a Major) on the 17th August 1915 only 5 days after the Battalion was lost.

He was then transfered to 1st Newfoundland Regiment on the 6th December 1915 a week before Gallipoli was evacuated.

Donnie

Hey Donnie, I might be tempted! Keep on talking.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Hre is a Photo of Hadow on his horse infront of the Battalion.....the majority of them were KIA 1st July 1916..

Donnie

This sounds really nice!

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi mate,

Thanks, i am currently trying to source a Webley Holster and Ammo pouch at the moment for the display.

Donnie

Andrew Stewart
    ?

Ever thought of donating it or offering to sell it to the Canadian war Museum in Ottawa?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast