Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Tank Splinter Face Mask Opinions

Article about: It seems more and more of these "rare" tank spinter masks are popping up for sale these days. There are some very convincing repros out there which makes it dangerous territory. An

?

Default WW1 Tank Splinter Face Mask Opinions

It seems more and more of these "rare" tank spinter masks are popping up for sale these days. There are some very convincing repros out there which makes it dangerous territory.

Any thoughts on this one listed on ebay?

Cheers

ORIGINAL RARE WW1 BRITISH TANK CREW SPLINTER FACE MASK (WEAR WITH HELMET) | eBay

Seller is known for having some iffy items fir sale. There are a lot of these on the market recently, I would pass.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Seller is known for having some iffy items fir sale. There are a lot of these on the market recently, I would pass.
    Thanks Jerry, good advice.

...they just keep coming...indeed, I think there's now more masks for sale than there were tank crew!!!

as the saying goes....you don't see one for.....errrr....100 years and then 50 come along all together..... Isn't it strange that they've sat in storage for so long...perhaps it was a big crate load all found together.....

....they do appear to be selling well....I only wish I'd've found that crate myself..........

Obviously we're unable to pass comment on individual items without first hand inspection....and other masks are available.........But I can't recall seeing many (any?) of these things for sale in 20-30 years....'we're soooo lucky that a whole load have come to light recently.....

A nice little earner IMO
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

...but Jerry, just think of the sellers purchase price...they must've paid a small fortune to secure so many 100 year old items.....

The second example on eBay seems to have a bit more going for it than the first. This is the IWM example... although that chainmail looks a bit too 'fresh' to me. Maybe a restored piece?

WW1 Tank Splinter Face Mask Opinions

I've been following this situation closely for some time and we are right to be concerned; I'm convinced we are looking at the work of a very talented modern craftsman, probably from the UK. I have written an article chronicling the differences between known original pieces and these new copies, which moreover share certain details that can be detected under careful examination. The work constitutes entirely my own opinion, however, I think you'll agree these points to be more than mere coincidence.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast