Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WWI helmet help

Article about: Hello all, Just want ask a question or two about finding information. I found this helmet at a local auction half buried in a bunch of VHS tapes and other junk in a plastic tote. No one seem

Default WWI helmet help

Hello all, Just want ask a question or two about finding information. I found this helmet at a local auction half buried in a bunch of VHS tapes and other junk in a plastic tote. No one seemed to know what it was (or cared). I had to stop a young boy of about 8 to stop swinging it around by the chin strap. Anyway, the helmet is home with me, and I have identified its from 89th Battalion 355 Regiment. As you can se there is a ER or FR Clark on the chin strap. I would like to get the helmet back to the family, if they are interested. What is the best way to go about finding service records based on what I have here? I know its a long shot, but if it is a local helmet, it would be fun to try. Otherwise I may donate it to our local military museum. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI helmet help   WWI helmet help  

WWI helmet help   WWI helmet help  

WWI helmet help  

I believe that US service records from WWI can be accessed online. In case you did not already know, the helmet is an American produced example rather than a British one, which was quite commonly used by the US forces until they had produced enough of their own.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I found a Roy Clark severely wounded, and Earnest Clark slightly wounded, both privates from the 355th. Quick look up in the division history book. 89th covered most of the mid-west.

Thanks for the fast replies. Jerry, I have searched through several of the free websites without any luck. Is it your opinion that I may need to go into something like Ancestery.com for a more detailed report? West, you are correct as I am in Nebraska. I am just trying to narrow it down to where this person may have come from. I know without a service number it will be awfully hard to track. I will take anyone's ideas as I have never done this before.

?

I hope you find a caring home for it, but I suspect it is already in one (yours). Its a nice piece!

Oz.

A nice helmet, and I wish you luck with your research. As for trying to trace the family and getting the helmet back to them, I wouldn't bother. If the family were even remotely interested in their ancestor... they wouldn't have parted with the helmet in the first place would they?

Harry, I can really agree with what you have said about the family not wanting it anymore. I guess maybe its more of a pursuit in trying to find out about the person who wore it as well. My grandfather was a Marine in WW1, fought at Belleau Wood, Saint-Mihiel, and the rest. Was gassed and hospitalized. I cannot imagine going through something like that. Of course, my age didn't let me get to know him. My grandmother and mother saved his uniforms, helmets, and such. Its such an amazing collection to have. That's why I just wonder if someone who was related to the owner of the helmet might want to do a follow up of their own. It is probably a hopeless challenge, but you never know. Thank you for the well wishes!! Brian

MAP
    ?

I am told that most WW1 US enlistment records were destroyed in a fire so I doubt the NARA database would be of any help. Maybe a website is out there dedicated to the 89th Battalion 355 Regiment that might have a roll call.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Great helmet. Would love to see your grandfather's uniform. Gary

This is a great helmet and just for clarification this is the 89th Division, 355th Infantry Regiment, not 89th Battalion.

I have the WW1 unit history for the 89th Division, it is currently on exhibit in a WW1 display but I might be able to switch it for another WW1 unit history so that I can do some research for you.

I also have 4 volumes of names of men who served in WW1 from Nebraska. It may be a shot in the dark but since you said you live in Nebraska, I have another reference source to search in...

I will get back with you..

Smitty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast