Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI US 79th ID Group

Article about: I just wanted to share my second US WW1 coat and my first, named, WW1 group. This group is named to Sgt Charles G Rice from Pennsylvania. The group includes his coat, pants, overseas cap, do

Default WWI US 79th ID Group

I just wanted to share my second US WW1 coat and my first named WW1 group. This group is named to Sgt Charles G Rice from Pennsylvania. The group includes his coat, pants, overseas cap, dog tags, WW1 Victory Medal with Muesse-Argonne and Defensive Sector bars, hometown medal, whistle, puttees, Red Cross bag with his name on it and an old, flattened pack of Piedmonts.

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

Very nice and congratulations!

Mart

Thank you Mart!

It goes well with my other WW1 coat. HQ Company, 316th Infantry Regiment, 79th Infantry Division. Unfortunately unnamed.

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

WWI US 79th ID Group

Ed,

These are great looking uniforms.. Thanks for sharing..

Smitty

Thank you Smitty!

Default A few recommendations for WWI US 79th ID fans.

Greetings Ed,

If you are interested in the 79th ID’s actions in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive you may enjoy this website created/funded by the American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC). https://www.abmc.gov/sites/default/f...es/MA_Website/
    It provides an easy to navigate overview of the battle using interactive maps and timelines. For what it is, it ain't too bad.

However, if you desire a tragic/troubling yet a great read’s recommendation then, if you have not read William Walker’s Betrayal at Little Gibraltar: A German Fortress, a Treacherous American General, and the Battle to End World War I you really should. The book goes into great detail about the AEF’s Meuse-Argonne Offensive’s 1st day’s main objective; the capture of Montfaucon (79th ID’s primary task). Be prepared to get quite angry/disgusted at how the 79th was soundly abandoned by a supporting corps’ commander’s actions/pettiness. And how his failings caused a great unit to gain a poor and wholly unfounded reputation (let alone around 2K Doughboys to having died without purpose/gain).

I like to think there is a special place in hell for that particular SOB as he never paid for his sins while he lived. I read that book in 2016 when it first came out and I’m still quite angry. That said, it did cause me to visit Montfaucon twice since then and because of that book's tragic narrative, I possessed a much greater appreciation for what occurred there. May their souls be at peace.

Regards,

Lance

P.S. And too, nice uniforms!

Thank you for the recommendations Lance. I will check out both the website and the book this week. It's much appreciated!

Also, thank you for the thumbs up on the uniforms as well.

Edited to add that I just ordered the book on Amazon where it also received a good bit of praise. I look forward to reading it.

Fantastic collection!

Getting a nice warm feeling looking at these uniforms, very nice indeed. Great to get the ensemble of items to the same soldier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast