Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI US Helmet

Article about: HI Guys, A friend found this helmet in a house he bought and said he was going to sell it on eBay. I would like to possibly buy from him before he does that but I'm not sure what its worth?

Default WWI US Helmet

HI Guys,

A friend found this helmet in a house he bought and said he was going to sell it on eBay. I would like to possibly buy from him before he does that but I'm not sure what its worth? Also I know very little about WWI helmets and was hoping someone could tell me a little bit about what I have. From the little bit of research I did it seems these helmets were often painted in this way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kirby
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI US Helmet   WWI US Helmet  

WWI US Helmet   WWI US Helmet  

WWI US Helmet  

Default Re: WWI Helmet

Hi Kirby,
    Firstly it is a British made helmet not U.S, you can tell by the split rivet on the strap loops, the U.S, had solid rivets. It is nice to see a complete one of that age, Im not sure how it would be painted in U.S, cam but they were passed around with what kit they had, I cant give a value on it but must say they are very sort after, if you can buy it i would go for it, you may not have another chance. also it would be good to research the unit.
    Dave.

Default Re: WWI Helmet

Quote by Element7 View Post
    HI Guys,

A friend found this helmet in a house he bought and said he was going to sell it on eBay. I would like to possibly buy from him before he does that but I'm not sure what its worth? Also I know very little about WWI helmets and was hoping someone could tell me a little bit about what I have. From the little bit of research I did it seems these helmets were often painted in this way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kirby
    I'd say for sure pick it up. These are really nice pieces displayed, and it is in good condition. I don't have a value, though. Maybe research the front part of the helmet with the words (I can't read what it says).

Default Re: WWI US Helmet

Can you post a better photo of the front of your helmet? It is hard to decipher the insignia. It looks like there are two "overseas" chevrons painted on the helmet denoting one years overseas service. These painted helmets are collectable and sought after. Depending on the unit is question the price would vary greatly. On a low end I'd say $200.00 easy. Is there an ID on the helmet? If there is and you can research the soldier that will increase it's value. If it less the 200.00, buy it, you won't get hurt.

The insignia is for 2nd US Cav Regt.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the help guys! As Ade said it is marked 2nd US Cavalry. I'm going to make him an offer and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Kirby

Its mine now!

Kirby

?

British made helmets were purchased from England and issued to US troops during WWI. I have several in my collection.
    A nice painted helmet like this one is worth about $250.00 mayby more. Cav helmets are very rare so I would say more.
    Great Lid
    SteveR

Thanks for the additional info Steve!

Kirby