Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WWI US ID'ed Portrait Photo

Article about: Like uniforms, I have a soft spot for anything I can put a name and face to. This is from Bay State Militaria. It spoke to me and I had to have it.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Todd, one small corection each stripe was for 6 months service. Cannot be for 3 years as the USA did not enter the war until 1917.

Cheers, Ade.
    Good catch Ade. Where on earth did I get one year from? Duhh. I didn't think the math added up, but I always was a D+ student in math so it's no surprise.

About like me then!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    About like me then!
    Good to know I'm not alone! Geometry was the exception. Could do that without cracking the book.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Thanks joe. If that's true than very cool. He was a "sign me up!" Kinda guy. Three years overseas and an ambulance driver. Bet he saw some horrific wounds.

Would y'all say the ribbon closest to his tunic buttons looks like a Purple Heart ribbon?
    The Purple Heart wasn't an official decoration until the 30s. Men wounded in combat were awarded a large lithograph Certificate with his name, rank, unit, etc., with a soldier kneeling in battle dress with lady liberty holding a lifted sword with printed inscription announcing that the below listed individual had been wounded in combat.
    I don't know where the ones I own are at the moment or I would post a photo rather than a description. The ribbon is probably is probably a state or city award that given him. Quite common then but not official US awards.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    The Purple Heart wasn't an official decoration until the 30s. Men wounded in combat were awarded a large lithograph Certificate with his name, rank, unit, etc., with a soldier kneeling in battle dress with lady liberty holding a lifted sword with printed inscription announcing that the below listed individual had been wounded in combat.
    I don't know where the ones I own are at the moment or I would post a photo rather than a description. The ribbon is probably is probably a state or city award that given him. Quite common then but not official US awards.
    Thanks Steve. I have seen the certificates you mention so no worries about an image
    I know of one for sale locally for around $100. I have much to learn about US stuff.

?

Great photo, Todd!

I tried researching this fella, however am coming up blank. There is one WWI registration card for a John Illiano from Montana, however his DOB is 12/12/84. Additionally, the card is dated 9/12/18. Basically, too late for him to have served plus he looks younger than his 30's in the photo.

I tried searching variations of the name; John, Jonathan, Giovanni, etc., but no luck.

I then searched using different spellings of the last name and I think I was able to find your guy. There is a John Iliano in the 1930 Census living with his Wife, Alice, and two children (Alice and John). At the time, they resided in Bridgeport, CT. In this, he is identified as a veteran of WWI. YOB is 1901, so in-line with his age in the photo (17-19 when you calculate averages based on the census).

I further searched and found a US City Directory listing from 1919, and found a John T. Illiano. In the 1919 listing, his occupation is listed as USA (US Army). This is also for Bridgeport, CT, so likely the same fella.

To confirm, I found a 1910 Census listing the same family above (John, Pasquale, etc.), living in Bridgeport, CT and the DOB is circa 1899.

Throw in the fact the above fella was from Connecticut and the 26th ID was comprised of soldiers from the New England area (of which Connecticut is a part of), I'd say this is likely your Soldier.

Nothing rock solid, and no military info, but this should be a good starting point if you decide to continue researching him.

?

For reference, below is a photo of the wound certificate, or Columbia Accolade as it come to be called, that Steve mentioned..

Eric your research skills are excellent. I think you may very well have found him. Is be interested to see if his service records are available. I wonder if he still has any family in that area who might have his items. Thanks so much for the work you have done. That was certainly quick!

?

No problem, Todd! There are a few Illiano's living in Connecticut near Brdigeport, one of whom is named Pasquale, so could very well be related. Info below (these are public records - so I don't believe I'm violating anything by posting).

As for his records, certainly worth a try. If you've never requested them before, you need only fill out and submit SF-180, found at the link below. Mail it in to the address provided and wait. May take a while and there may be a small fee for copies of the paperwork.

http://www.archives.gov/research/ord...d-form-180.pdf

Wouldn't hurt to contact Bay State, either, to see if they have any info on where or from whom the photo was acquired.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you're able to find out!

Thanks again Eric! Dead people pretty much have no privacy, and most all records are public so you're good. I've looked at the archives site before but never made any requests. Might be doing so this time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast