Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI US Navy female photol

Article about: Picked up this WWI navy photo . You just don't find WWI navy female photos . Gary

?

Default WWI US Navy female photol

Picked up this WWI navy photo . You just don't find WWI navy female photos . Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI US Navy female photol   WWI US Navy female photol  

MAP
    ?

Very nice Gary.

What is the Rank/Insignia on the sleeve? Almost looks like two crossed feathers.

Edit: It is a WW1 era US Navy Reserve Yoeman 1st class rank

From Wiki: Typically, female Yeoman reservists performed clerical duties such as typing, stenography, bookkeeping, accounting, inventory control, and telephone operation. A few became radio operators, electricians, draftsmen, pharmacists, photographers, telegraphers, fingerprint experts, chemists, torpedo assemblers and camouflage designers. Female Yeomen did not attend boot camp. A large number were stationed in Washington, D.C., while others served in naval stations, hospitals, shipyards[4] and munitions factories around the country. Many recruiting stations employed the women who volunteered there as very effective recruiters, and as many as forty women served in England, France, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Canal Zone, Guam, and the Territory of Hawaii.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Really nice photo, bet woman weren't allowed on the USN ships at that time?

?

Rene I don't know I didn't think they even let them in until I found this photo. I just remember the one poster where the girl is dressed like a sailor and it says gee I wish I was a mam i'd join the navy . Gary

I think it was considered bad luck! or was it a Commonwealth thing?

?

I've heard that from the old movies

?

Picked this book up to go with tje photo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI US Navy female photol   WWI US Navy female photol  

?

Found another female navy photo