Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Imperial Germany and Austro-Hungary

Article about: Post your Imperial books

MAP
    ?

Title: The German Army in the First World War: Uniforms and Equipment, 1914 to 1918
    Author: Jürgen Kraus
    Publisher: Verlag Militaria
    Year: 2006
    Language: English & German
    ISBN: 978-3-9501642-6-8 (English)
    ISBN: 978-3-9501642-5-1 (German)
    Hardcover with Dust Jacket: 640 pages

Notes: This illustrated, 640 page volume presents, for the first time, a comprehensive picture of the uniforms and equipment of the German army in the First World War. More than 1,400 magnificent colour photographs illustrate the full range of clothing and insignia, from lowly private to lofty field marshal. This book includes not only detailed descriptions of all the garments worn in the German army during the war, but also of the special uniforms and insignia of each branch of service. This fascinating collection of photographs of original pieces is supplemented by 400 contemporary wartime photographs showing clearly how they were actually worn. Together, they illustrate the external changes in the German army between 1914 and the end of the war. The collection of the Bayerisches Armeemuseum in Ingolstadt was photographed for the first time for this book, along with some important artefacts from the Wehrgeschichtliches Museum in Rastatt. Despite the camouflage function of the field-grey uniform, it still reflected the structure of the German army in the various contingents and branches of service.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Germany and Austro-Hungary
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Title: Storm Troops: Austro-Hungarian Assault Units and Commandos in the First World War Tactics, Organisation, Uniforms and Equipment
    Author: M. Christian Ortner
    Year: 2012
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 3950164286
    ISBN-13: 978-3950164282
    Hardcover/Paperback: 320 pages

Notes: The assault troops ranked among the elite units of the Austro-Hungarian army and permanently influenced the image of the soldier in the static and trench warfare of the First World War. In trench warfare, they had the assignment to remove enemy obstacles and to eliminate sentries in hand-to-hand combat with hand grenades or with daggers and clubs, thus enabling following attacking troops to reach their objectives. Equipped with steel helmets, shortened rifles and hand grenades, supported by machine guns, submachine guns and infantry guns, the assault trooper of the First World War ultimately epitomized the ‘modern’ soldier of the twentieth century. This impressive and lavishly illustrated volume comprises 320 pages and shows the operational tactics, battle doctrine, organization, uniforms and equipment of the Austrian assault troops in the First World War in more than 850 contemporary black and white and current full color photographs. Clear views of submachine guns, machine guns, trench mortars, infantry guns, flamethrowers and signals equipment provide an impressive overview of the arms and equipment of the elite of the k.u.k. army. These rare artifacts were mainly drawn from the inventory of the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum Vienna. The book devotes a long chapter to Austrian assault troop badges. It shows not only their genesis, but also illustrates more than 100 assault troop badges as originals and on photographs of their wearers. 850 Photos

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Title: The Emperor's Coat in the First World War: Uniforms and Equipment of the Austro-Hungarian Army from 1914 to 1918
    Author: M. Christian Ortner, Stefan Rest, Thomas Ilming
    Year: 2002
    ISBN-10: 3950164219
    ISBN-13: 978-3950164213
    Hardcover/Paperback: 508 pages

Notes: This book presents a detailed and systematic view of the uniforms and equipment of the Austro-Hungarian army during WWI — from the personal uniform of Kaiser Franz Joseph I to the field grey regulation wear of the common soldier as well as the golden Dragoon’s helmet to the dull, brown steel helmet of the Isonzo front. 1,450+ Photos

MAP
    ?

Title: The Austro-Hungarian Army in the First World War. Uniforms & Equipment - from 1914 to 1918 (2 Volumes in a slip cover)
    Author: M. Christian Ortner and Prof. DI Hermann Hinterstoisser
    Year: 2013
    Language: English (Available in German as well)
    ISBN-10: 3902526645
    ISBN-13: 978-3902526649
    Hardcover with slip cover: 864 pages

Notes: More than 2500 colour photographs, contemporary BW-photographs and illustrations, bound in linen with a protective cover.

Volume 1 focuses on the Army caught in the field of tension created by the dualism of 1867 to 1914 and the development of field uniforms before 1914. The pike grey field uniforms introduced for the k.k. Landwehr in 1907 and for the joint Army and the Landwehr in 1908 and the peculiarities of the cavalry, still dressed in their colorful uniforms at the beginning of the war, are dealt with in extensive chapters. These are followed by chapters on the field grey uniforms of 1915 in their various forms, wartime economy at a time when materials were becoming increasingly scarce, rank insignia and unit badges. It has also been possible to include photographs of the original official samples for many items of uniform.

Volume 2 deals with the personal items of equipment carried by the soldiers and the uniforms of special formations such as the motorized and aviation troops, tropical uniforms, field pastors and military bands, medical personnel and voluntary formations and legions. Belts, haversacks, canteens, knapsacks and gasmasks are all illustrated and described in detail. Photographs of the clothes worn by prisoners of war and the uniforms of the Volkswehr at the turn of 1919 are published here for the first time, completing this portrayal of the uniforms of the old Austro-Hungarian Army. One whole section is devoted to the Heir Apparent, Franz Ferdinand, and his assassination in Sarajevo. Eyewitness accounts describe the dramatic sequence of events on 28 June 1914. The uniform that Franz Ferdinand was wearing on the fateful day, which has been displayed in a glass case at the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum in Vienna since 1914, has been carefully photographed for this book, bearing witness to the tragic event that plunged the world into war in 1914.

MAP
    ?

Title: Prussian Blue
    Author: Stephen Thomas Previtera
    Publisher: Winidore Publications; 1St Edition
    Year: Oct 10, 2005
    ISBN-10: 0967307023
    ISBN-13: 978-0967307022
    Hardcover with Dust Jacket: 400 pages

400 pages - Over 1,000 original large-format color photographs created especially for this master reference. Prussian Blue rewrites the reference - history book. Nowhere will you find such a comprehensive visual history of the Order Pour le Mérite. State-of-the-art photography captures the original awards of kings and kaisers, tsars and generals, princes and statesmen, in all their glory.

MAP
    ?

Title: Iron Cross 1813 - 1870 - 1914 The History and Significance of a Medal
    Author: Dr. Frank Wernitz
    Year: Jan 1, 2013
    ISBN-10: 3902526599
    ISBN-13: 978-3902526595
    Hardcover: 850 pages

Notes: This two-volume work comprising more than 850 pages, which is based on many years of research in German archives, presents the Iron Cross 1813–1870–1914 in a completely new light. In particular the files of the Royal Prussian General Order Commission (GOC) in the State Archives of the former East Germany (DDR), which were basically locked away until, after Germany’s reunification, they were finally made accessible at the Prussian State Archive in Berlin, revealed extra ordinary documents containing hitherto unknown facts.

The set comprises one volume of text and a comprehensive illustrated companion volume. The ‘Typologies’ defined in this second volume, extensive colour plates with photographs in a scale of 2:1, provide the reader with all the details of three generations of the Iron Cross along with an unforeseen number of variations – a total of more than 350 items. These Typologies are largely based on collections, not open to the public in the past, at the Deutsches Historisches Museum Berlin, the Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr Dresden, the Bayerisches Armeemuseum Ingolstadt and the Stiftung Preußische Schlösser und Gärten Berlin-Brandenburg, who now hold the almost complete former collection of Max Aurich.

In addition, the author has impressively tracked down medals that were long believed to have been lost, historical witnesses such as the ‘Blücher Star’ and its Grand Cross of the Iron Cross from 1813, which belonged to ‘Marshal Forwards’, Graf Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher.

MAP
    ?

Title: Aircrew Badges and Honor Prizes of the Flying Troops from 1913 to 1920
    Author: Carlston Baldes
    Publisher: Baldes Verlag
    Year: Jan 1, 2012
    ISBN-10: 3981501616
    ISBN-13: 978-3981501612
    Hardcover: 703 pages

Notes: In his ultimate work, Carsten Baldes deals with the badges and decorations of the air force from 1913 to 1920. Variants, award documents, contemporary photo documents and all that belongs to this theme are presented in magnificent colour photographs. When it comes to aviator badges, the non plus ultra! Large format, bound with 702 pages, approx. 1500 illustrations in color and b/w.

MAP
    ?

Title: Stahlshutzhelme: The German Steel Combat Helmet 1915-1918
    Author: Oliver Lock
    Publisher: Military Mode Publishing ( Military Mode Publishing )
    Year: 2020
    ISBN: Unknown at this time
    Hardcover: 220 pages

Notes: he fantastic new book by Military Mode is here! Stahlshutzhelme is a 220 page hard back book in the familiar format of all Military Mode publications, covering the development and production of the German Helmet in WWI. Using high resolution images and in depth information from world renowned collector and historian Oliver Lock. The book covers early rare prototypes never seen before and features helmets right though the changes in patterns as well as stunning camouflage examples and unseen period images.

MAP
    ?

Default Gas Warfare in the First World War

Title: Gas Warfare in the First World War - Anti-Gas Protection and Gas Masks in the Armies of the German Empire, Austria-Hungary and Italy.
    Author: Egidio Rossi, Marco Pisani, Andrea Brambilla, Ariberto Osio
    Publisher: Verlag Militaria (Willkommen beim Verlag Militaria!)
    Year: 2021
    Language: English & German & Italian
    ISBN: 978-3-903341-17-3 (English)
    ISBN: 978-3-903341-16-6 (German)
    ISBN: 978-3-903341-18-0 (Italian)
    Hardcover with Dust Jacket: 504 pages

Notes: Defeating the enemy by any means has always been a goal of warring parties. This was also true during the First World War, when no stone was left unturned to eliminate the enemy, even by using aggressive chemicals or poisonous substances, which science readily provided. For this reason, it soon became necessary to provide one’s own soldiers with special equipment to protect them against this invisible enemy.

In recent years the study of the gas-defence equipment supplied to the warring armies has seen growing interest. This book, comprehensively illustrated with photographs of more than 200 original specimens preserved in private collections or museums, seeks to describe and illustrate the most important gas-defence equipment used during the First World War by the imperial armies of Germany and Austria-Hungary and by the army of the Kingdom of Italy.

This publication describes the development of these devices over time, from the first respirators borrowed from the sanitary sector to sophisticated protective masks with filters and their corresponding containers, and special clothing for protection against blister-forming gases. Numerous official documents from the war years are accompanied by a number of important original photographs from the period that testify to the extensive use of gas-defense equipment in the trenches of the First World War.

The book also contains an historical overview of research in the field of poison gases by the three nations, information about the industries that took part in their production, and a chapter dedicated to the most important types of poison gas.

(Photo credit: GHW)

Title: The German Army 1914-18
    Author: D.S.V Fosten and R.J. Marrion
    Publisher: Osprey Publishing
    Year: 1978
    ISBN: 0-85045-283-X
    Softcover:
    Pages: 40
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Germany and Austro-Hungary  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4