Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Horst Wessel Way Blue Enamel Street Sign

Article about: Good evening fellow collectors, The other day I was bidding on a very nice original Horst Wessel bronze bust - sadly I got outbid! However, I have seen this HW street sign for sale - it has

Default Horst Wessel Way Blue Enamel Street Sign

Good evening fellow collectors,

The other day I was bidding on a very nice original Horst Wessel bronze bust - sadly I got outbid!

However, I have seen this HW street sign for sale - it has modest wear and I have compared it to known original Third Reich street signs and it all appears to be okay!

I am slightly concerned as the seller in question has a number of dubious looking items on his site - so I deemed getting a second opinion to be best!

What do you guys make of it?

Thank you, Glen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Horst Wessel Way Blue Enamel Street Sign   Horst Wessel Way Blue Enamel Street Sign  

Horst Wessel Way Blue Enamel Street Sign   Horst Wessel Way Blue Enamel Street Sign  

Horst Wessel Way Blue Enamel Street Sign   Horst Wessel Way Blue Enamel Street Sign  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Horst Wessel Way Blue Enamel Street Sign
    P
    Many

I'd say bad as there is fresh rust on this, but there again it might have been stored outside!..

Standard european design sign - I would say it is a post-war Polish made one as it looks identical to the old Polish street signs.

?

It certainly looks like a sign made with the correct materials and process for the period - i'm referring to the depth of the enamel and the way that it has 'starred' where chipped. It also has the significantly bowed, convex appearance that these signs often seem to have. I suppose that if these were being faked, one would imagine that there would be more of them out there. However, there would be nothing to stop someone with access to the right production equipment producing a few for some easy cash. If genuine, seems quite a reasonable price - would look very attractive in a SA themed display.

Regards, Philip

These are faked. I have seen them for sale brand new.

Usually they read Street and not Way.

I am really in two minds about this one. That red rust is troubling. Sorry I cannot give you an answer one way or another.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you for your replies gentlemen.

I too have yet to see a Third Reich polish made reproduction street sign - I am all too aware of the typically Eastern European made fake/fantasy items and if this is one of them it would have certainly fooled me!

I am also in two minds...

Thanks you, Glen.

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    Standard european design sign - I would say it is a post-war Polish made one as it looks identical to the old Polish street signs.
    Signs of this design style were and still are used in Germany, too.

It is worth noting that they are still widely manufactured and are in fact commercially available with any desired custom text (in modern or Gothic fonts) to anybody, making them popular gift items.

Here's a random example for a supplier:

https://www.schildershop24.de/strass...-kat_493_1.htm

(Of course, companies based in Germany would in all likelihood not accept orders for "Horst Wessel"- or "Adolf Hitler"-related street signs...)

Maybe you can find some useful info in this thread:

Adolf Hitler Platz enamel street sign

Thank you!

I think that I will stand clear of this item without a definitive answer...

It would look amazing on my wall above the TV but I just wouldn't feel comfortable owning it without knowing the authenticity one way or another.

Thank you, Glen.

?

I have a couple of signs made the same way, modern repros by a company in the UK

Dean O

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast