Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bastogne/Manhay 2016

Article about: This year I decided to begin my little winter Ardennen-Tour in the region of our Panthers graveyards near Manhay and Grandmenil, where many Panthers were destroyed by mines or fuel-lack. At

?

Default Bastogne/Manhay 2016

This year I decided to begin my little winter Ardennen-Tour in the region of our Panthers graveyards
    near Manhay and Grandmenil, where many Panthers were destroyed by mines or fuel-lack.

At Manhay there was a convoy to remember, with strong axis forces

There was a lucky man, his father owned 6 swims directly pulled out of the roads of the ardennes-offensive. he had so much spare-parts for the next 70 years, that the last running swin had still original tyres.

The belgien maquis was present too(did he kill Waldmüller a few month earlier??)

Part of the convoy my little Käfer

one of the Grandmenil-Panthers still watching the enemy.

His companion of Houffalize

At Recogne, remembering not so lucky man

In the forest bois Jaques

Bastogne Panzer-barracks

Little Kübel under motor-service

nice PziV

swim, restored last year, still on little Käfer-wheels

A new tractor for me??

Little meal, before restarting home

enjoy and....Salut

?

Great pictorial tour, thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    John

Wow, what a convoy to be part off, i like your vw kommandowagen
    And you were in luck with the good weather too it looks like

?

Yes good weather during the afternoon, but in the morning a cold and foggy start for the first 100 km. All over my Käfer ice like a panzer. Much hot coffee until Vielsalm, but than a sunny afternoon and in the late evening shit-fog on the raid back home.

Salut

Nice one !
    I am in the Ardennes and Bastogne for a short tour over Christmas

The 2 pictures of Panthers you posted, are they permanent displays ??? I would like to see those !

Cheers

Sorry guys, showing my ignorance here, I didnt realise these existed, have to stop off in Manhay and Houfflaize now as well !

Cheers

?

There are 3 Panthers still left from the Ardennes-offensive, the farest west who did it nearly to Dinant is displaced at Celles,

the second Panther at Grandmenil near Manhay and the third at Houffalize near Bastogne.

Well known is the King-Tiger at La Gleize.

The only Tiger in the west always remaining is the Vimoutier-Tiger in Normandy.

These are the only wild-cats remaining at their original places where they were lost and in permanent display for the last 70 years.

Salut

Quote by WeyAx View Post
    There are 3 Panthers still left from the Ardennes-offensive, the farest west who did it nearly to Dinant is displaced at Celles,

the second Panther at Grandmenil near Manhay and the third at Houffalize near Bastogne.

Well known is the King-Tiger at La Gleize.

The only Tiger in the west always remaining is the Vimoutier-Tiger in Normandy.

These are the only wild-cats remaining at their original places where they were lost and in permanent display for the last 70 years.

Salut
    Thanks for the response, I will definately visit the 2 Panthers and also the Konigs Tiger at La Gleize

Found this site which provides some good information

Surviving German Panther Tank in Houffalize Belgium Ardennes

Cheers

been inside the Houffalize panther many year back THE FLOOR IS BLOWN in jamming the turret in that position,also still had its varta batteries trapped in it..

?

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Nice one !
    I am in the Ardennes and Bastogne for a short tour over Christmas

The 2 pictures of Panthers you posted, are they permanent displays ??? I would like to see those !

Cheers
    The Panther in Manhay is from 4 Kp Das Reich , there is a very good account by Ernst Barkmann of the fighting there, the Houffalize one is from 116 PD the Windhund Division and the one in Celles from a KG from 2 Panzer Division , some excellent accounts of the fighting there by 3 RTR and US 2nd Armoured Div. We visit all these locations on our Battle of the Bulge Tour !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast