MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

1930s ? Folk Art German Chest & Drawers - Opinions Appreciated

Article about: I found this about 5 years ago. It's approximately 68cm x 58cm x 31cm. I bought this from a woman who was from Bavaria. She married a USGI back in the late 1960s and moved to the US after hi

?

Default 1930s ? Folk Art German Chest & Drawers - Opinions Appreciated

I found this about 5 years ago. It's approximately 68cm x 58cm x 31cm. I bought this from a woman who was from Bavaria. She married a USGI back in the late 1960s and moved to the US after his tour was over. At first, she wouldn't sell this to me because she thought the Swastikas made this illegal to own. I'm assuming this would have been made in the 1930s or early 1940s. The workmanship is fabulous. The black color was inlayed. The patterns on the top are inlayed but I don't know the material used nor do I know what type of wood this is. You can see an artist's palette on the left side with initials inside. The chest's right side bares a logo that I am not familiar with. I'm sure it has some type of meaning and not just a geometrical symbol. Any ideas? The woman did not know much about the history other than it was in her family when she was a child. One of my thoughts was that this could have been used as a silver chest. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1930s ? Folk Art German Chest & Drawers - Opinions Appreciated
    P
    Many

An interesting piece. My thought is that it pre dates the TR.

?

very nice , a skilled carpenter put this together. My opinion is that is was made during the III Reich.
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Impressive ...it has the workmanship of those many beautiful German clocks that were made during the period.
    It definitely would make a great display table for any TR artifact !

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks for the comments. I'd love to know the meaning of that chevron styled design. At some point, it received a custom glass top, cut to fit the top's shape. This piece really spoke to me when I saw it. It was one of those "right place, right time" deals.

?

Impressive ...it has the workmanship of those many beautiful German clocks that were made during the period.
    It definitely would make a great display table for any TR artifact !
    Are you referring to the Black Forest carvings? That's what I thought this was until I got it in better light.

it looks Middle East/Asian in style.

Cheers,
    Steve