Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon

Article about: Ha~ sure is. Or like a stroll throught the tulips, only when they spring up, you don't wanna be near them. Have a good one, Dan

Default Re: Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon

Quote by Unforgottenwar View Post
    I had a good weekend with good weather (finally) and relic hunting. Here's a few of the really good finds. One of my favorites was a very, very old cast iron spearpoint. That was a surprise.

But it wouldn't be an Indiana Jones type of relic hunt without the risk of grenades and poisonous snakes. I'm used to finding U.S. related objects but for the last two weekends it's been mostly Soviet/Communist Chinese hardware. It's kinda eerie since it feels like I have the cold war sitting in my apartment!

Well, that's the last visit for a while for me. The vegetation, insects and heat will
    be too much so it'll be late fall before I make it out there again but it's been good!
    I hate snakes, those are amazing finds.
    Good work.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Thanks guys,

It's a type of Soviet stick grenade (I think!). Here's a picture of one laying next to a U.S. soldier as well as the pan for the DP light machine gun that I managed to find the top and bottom halves for. Interestingly they called it the "record player" or some such as it spins on top of the machine gun as it's being fired!

Cheers!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

It is indeed a Soviet RPG 43:

RPG-43 H.E.A.T. Hand Grenade (WWII) - Inert-Ord.net

Cheers, Ade.

Thanx Unforgottonwar and Ade,
    I had no clue.

Cheers,
    Steven

Thanks Ade!

Once I picked up my first one (which I thought was a can of food) I could tell by the heavy weight that it
    was unexploded ordinance of some kind and gently placed it back. I'd say I found 3 of them, but being
    "anti-tank" on a high mountain ridge....odd....the u.s. tanks were much further away.

But thank you for the info!

Dan

Ade,

Not only does your link explain the grenade but it was also helpful in explaining
    another relic I couldn't figure out!

Thanks,
    Dan

edit: Could this type of grenade be the one that led to the type of grenade shown in this clip?
    LiveLeak.com - JAAMI: Fighters Throw Thermal Grenades at U.S. Humvee
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/milit...n-dsc00734.jpg

The Chinese in this picture means "Serve people with all my heart".

How do all~!

It's been a while since I've been out but the last couple weeks I've been
    hiking the hills once again and wanted to share with y'all. Some fantastic
    finds and some finds...well, I nearly shat myself. So just a little heads up
    to be careful out there~!Korean War: May Massacre at ChuncheonKorean War: May Massacre at ChuncheonKorean War: May Massacre at ChuncheonKorean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon

First I came across a small Mosin-Nagant ammo dump and little while later what looks like a Chinese officer's (general's?!) brass belt buckle (couldn't find the other half )
    Then on another weekend and far side of the battle lines I found a fantastic M8 rifle grenade launcher. Can still barely make out the "MKCO M8, LAUNCHER, CARBINE, CAL. -30."
    Then my final find of the day, and perhaps my search for lost relics! Several M2 landmines. The first was of the cylindrical type, but without the pressure tongs (which I didn't take a picture of) and right next to it....a variation of the same but
    I don't know the exact type, maybe M2A1B1?
    M2 mine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    But it looked then as if it was placed in the ground yesterday even though it's been 60 years.
    As I can say is I thank the heavens above, my Minelab Safari and prior training in the military in mine detecting before being shipped off to Bosnia!

So, it's been a real wake-up call for me guys~ha! Be safe!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon   Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon   Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

Pretty amazing finds! Thank you for posting them!

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    Pretty amazing finds! Thank you for posting them!
    Thanks, G.P.~!

Anyone else in for a good scare? Go metal detecting! Happy Halloween! ha~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast