Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need help! Dagger for Government Official,.. original?

Article about: Hello, I need again your help. Is this dagger for state officials an original one? Best regards Kasper

The last thing I would ever do is to take one of these apart ...as once they are apart ..it is difficult to put it back together precisely.
    This type is nothing like an SA SS Heer or Luftwaffe dagger. The mother of pearl grip plates most of the time never go back in the same spot...only those who have done this before have a greater chance of getting back together correctly...but even then...they too are apt to not getting it back together correctly.

I reached out to an advanced collector and associate about this dagger that has been posted and also agrees that the dagger looks good ..but is suspicious with the blade being in backwards and also commented on the poor casting of the crossguard but was surprised the tang nut was not gouged up.

My thoughts that the crossguard may have been an assembly reject and applied later ...but who knows when ? and may explain why the blade is in backwards.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help! Dagger for Government Official,.. original?
    P
    Many

Peruse the Advanced Search function and you will find better quality fakes already posted on the Forum in the past. Ask yourself, what official would proudly wear that poorly manufactured dagger?

?

The latest reply I´ve got from other forum, also from some well experienced collectors I´ve contacted as well now is stating that it is in all parts an origin gouvernmental dagger from Alcoso. Also some collectors have replied that some Alcoso appear with the marker mark reversed.
    What I will definetely not do is to disassemble the dagger to find the serial numbers. The risk to damage or not being able to assemble it again is to high to me.
    Anyway, I´ve contatced Mr. Wittmann and we will see if he replies. I don`t think so but if I will let you know.

NEVER disassemble this dagger. I don’t think it’s particularly rough at all. It’s difficult to say from photos, however good they are, but I think it has a good chance and suggest you take it to several reputable dealers for their opinion.

?

Agree, I need to get a better camera from anywhere to take better pictures, specially close up from the crossguard. If I can get, I will post better photos.

?

Well Gents i have seen the pictures of this dagger on a German Forum and Juvavum (MFF Expert 3rd.Reich daggers) took a look and stated this dagger is a nice original early Alcoso.
    I take his word that the dagger is indeed an original, as this MFF expert knows his Officials and Diplomat daggers, beside numerous other types, this man is a wikipedia and has several in collection.
    This man has over 50 years of experience.

#Georgi: I don not like the statements of inexperienced members who do not have a clue what a dagger like this is all about, early dagger are much more hand enhanced and show other features like the later ones, who will have perfect swastika's and eagles.
    Like the early army daggers a lot is handwork and is not as smooth as the later ones.

#Horst, about the logo frontwise, i can be short:
    Alcoso was a producer, like Heller, that on occasion has the logo on the frontside, their armies are well known for that in combination with frozen pommels.

I have handled hundreds of daggers (500+) over the years and have gathered knownledge about a lot of different dagger types.
    But there are certain types i'm not experienced in: Officials & Diplo's for example.
    Therefore i find myself in the possition not to give any advise on them.
    I rather do not give an opinion if i sense that i'm not adding any good info to the thread, rather then giving a reply which lacks knownledge, and having a good original dagger burnt for no reason at all.

Best
    Ger

?

Quote by Kasper View Post
    The latest reply I´ve got from other forum, also from some well experienced collectors I´ve contacted as well now is stating that it is in all parts an origin gouvernmental dagger from Alcoso. Also some collectors have replied that some Alcoso appear with the marker mark reversed.
    What I will definetely not do is to disassemble the dagger to find the serial numbers. The risk to damage or not being able to assemble it again is to high to me.
    Anyway, I´ve contatced Mr. Wittmann and we will see if he replies. I don`t think so but if I will let you know.
    Well Kasper we both know that Emil has great knownledge and has a huge collection of daggers, including quite a few of these ones.
    I'll take his word any time!

Ger

?

Hi Gerrit. I'm glad this dagger turned out to be correct. Especially if it was bought at a good price. The price difference between different examples of this dagger is very large. I probably shouldn't be so critical, but some time ago due to ignoring some minor inaccuracies I bought two daggers with parts. I always say I don't have enough experience.
    I'm trying to be helpful.
    Regards Georgi.

My biggest fear is original items are incorrectly told to be fakes and thrown in to the bin!
    Hence trying to guide others to more experienced collectors and showing examples of other items for sale on more knowledgeable dealers websites.
    I will not give an opinion on originality as I’m no expert, but I’m just glad everything turned out for the best. My gut feeling told me that the dagger was original but I didn’t want to say.
    Regards
    Liam

?

There is another dagger shown on Wittmann's site. Although it is diplomatic, it is also Alcoso. The cross guard is very well cast there. I looked at the Government Officials Alcoso daggers on Lakesidetrader with a good cross guard cast and it confused me for my opinion.
    Georgi.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast