Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

The Future of our Hobby Part II (legislation)

Article about: I noticed the previous thread about the future of our hobby went off topic into something political and got closed down. This is in my opinion a shame because the topic concerns all of us. I

Customs can probably make you declare what you're taking from Australia as well. They can/will inspect luggage for 'contraband'; I'd be willing to bet.

Once a government agency gets a toehold they can just go wild.

?

hope not tex, my family and i will be possibly leaving Aus next year and i'll be shipping my stuff with me...
    A lot of moneys worth of birthday gifts.

Good luck to you and yours.

?

It really is a shame that historically interesting people are lumped together with neo-Nazis just because they deal with the WWII era. In our country, unfortunately, it is also the case that people immediately suspect someone who has something like this of being a Nazi. I strongly doubt that real neo-Nazis acquire original historical artifacts and study them. This is something that I think only people who are really interested in history do.

As the German poet Heinrich Heine said: "Where books are burned, people are also burned in the end." This undoubtedly also applies to the traces of historical events...

After all, learning from history is the best way to prevent it from repeating itself!

I really feel sorry for our Australian collector friends. I also read yesterday that showing a swastika on the Internet is also prohibited when the law comes into force. That means the Australians have to be careful in the future which photos they upload in discussions here in the forum, for example.

@Andy: I can understand you wanting to sell your collection because once the law comes into force that will no longer be possible. But I feel very sorry for you as I know how much you enjoyed your collection. One can only hope that such a law will not also be introduced for objects from the German Imperial period in the future. (Since there is a trend for neo-Nazis in countries where the swastika is banned to use symbols like the Reichskriegsflagge of the Imperial Navy instead.) The only thing I can think of to do with a post-law collection to save the historical pieces is donate them to an Australian museum. (If they have permission that the pieces will not be destroyed.) Financially, of course, that would be a severe loss for your own family or the heirs...

Best regards
    Wolf

Can I come with lol. I'm done trying to collect while living in Aus lol

?

Jimmy, i hate to see you so disheartened like this, really hope you can think of a solution in the end, even if it means leaving country!

A quite shocking state of affairs, and worrying as to where such laws might take us all in the future. I would feel depressed too if I lived in Australia and paid honest money for historical objects only to see them destroyed and be left out of pocket and my hobby a nonsense.

Quite depressing to read about this, i could understand reasoning behind that sort of restrictions in the EU, allthough that would be flawed logic in my opinion. Where i live it is just forbidden to use symbols or uniforms that represent and promote totalitarian regimes and ideologies in public, including USSR by the way. But there are excemptions, like the use for historic purposes, movies, art and collecting and trading. How about other totalitarian regime related items are they restricted in Australia too?

?

Are there any loopholes to be exploited? For example, buy a copy of today's newspaper from me for $150 and get a free Iron Cross?
    If you are selling something not restricted but giving away something that is, you're not selling it but giving it away?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Write to your local member, write to senate members, Hanson, Clive, LDP. to stand up for us by voting against the change.
    I am doing it, the more that do it the better chance we have.
    Strength in numbers and remember the bastards work for us.

LX

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast