Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

ww2 or Korean war cateen cover?

Article about: Hello, I ask your opinion about this canteen cover. It looks like it's from the end of WW2 or the Korean War. It does not appear to have manufacturer's marks or year. The canteen is dated 19

Default ww2 or Korean war cateen cover?

Hello, I ask your opinion about this canteen cover. It looks like it's from the end of WW2 or the Korean War. It does not appear to have manufacturer's marks or year. The canteen is dated 1943. Thank you very much and greetings.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 or Korean war cateen cover?   ww2 or Korean war cateen cover?  

ww2 or Korean war cateen cover?   ww2 or Korean war cateen cover?  

ww2 or Korean war cateen cover?  

?

Unfortunately, the ‘Buffalo, New York’ has been hand-written over what appears to be the maker/date stamp, so it’s near impossible to read.
    That said, it certainly stands a good chance of being late wartime, but could equally be Korean War era, as the U.S. stamp became sans serif in about 1956 (However, wartime, lend-lease British-made equipment frequently used a sans serif ‘U.S.’ marking, so it’s not always the mark of post-war equipment!).
    The canteen itself is a nice example, with a good, clear stamp.
    All in all, a worthwhile addition to your collection - assuming you are okay with the handwritten addition (the only part I’m not keen on, as it obscures the date and may have been added for precisely that purpose), but bear in mind that there are plenty of these around, so it wouldn’t hurt to let this go and wait for a better example with a readable date stamp on the cover.

The date stamp can also be found inside one of the closing flaps, so ask the seller to check for you.
    All the best,
    Rob

Thanks for your answer. The seller told me that he saw no markings on the inside. He already specifies that it is WW2-Korean war. The price is quite good and it is not easy to find one with the price I can get. I'll think about it today. Thanks again.