Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need help / information

Article about: Hello, I am new to the forum. Have a pic of my Dad in German WW2 uniform. While I am familiar with the iron cross there are still some insignia in the pic that I can't identify and my mother

Default Need help / information

Hello, I am new to the forum. Have a pic of my Dad in German WW2 uniform. While I am familiar with the iron cross there are still some insignia in the pic that I can't identify and my mother does not remember. Would you be able to help If I post the pic ? It is good quality but only shows the upper portion. I thank you all in advance !!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help / information
    P
    Many

Hello, and welcome to the forum!
    Please post a photo, members here like a challenge and would be happy to try to help you.
    The larger the photo, the better it will be.
    The first 4 or 5 posts in this thread will explain how to post a photo.
    New picture posting feature - How to guide !
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Sorry it came out sideways !!! Anyways, here is what I know . He served in the Army ( panzer) from 1938 to 1945. We believe that this pic is from 1941. I am specifically curious about what is below the left breast pocket. I know that it is difficult to see , perhaps the panzer badge ? I can also say that he was demoted to this rank and had held a higher rank at some point.......

Thank you for posting a beautiful photo of your father!
    He wears an Iron Cross II Klasse ribbon sewn into the button hole
    He wears an Iron Cross I Klasse on the left breast pocket.
    He has a Commemorative medal Oct. 1st. 1938 ribbon bar with the Prague Castle bar above the left breast pocket.
    He is wearing a Panzer Assault badge on the lower left breast pocket and he is wearing Infantry piped enlisted man shoulder boards in this photo.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ralph, thank you so much ! It is fascinating . I have heard some stories about the war from my parents but my father had a difficult time talking about it. I have been scouring the net when I should have just come here first !!! I hadn't seen the Commemorative ribbon bar anywhere else. Again, you have answered my questions in one post, much appreciated .....

Look up Sudetenland Medal on Wikepedia for a full description of the ribbon with the so-called "Prague bar." Your father received the medal with Prague bar for the entry into the Sudeten and the subsequent occupation of other portions of Czechoslovakia. NH

Quote by silongirl View Post
    Ralph, thank you so much ! It is fascinating . I have heard some stories about the war from my parents but my father had a difficult time talking about it. I have been scouring the net when I should have just come here first !!! I hadn't seen the Commemorative ribbon bar anywhere else. Again, you have answered my questions in one post, much appreciated .....
    My pleasure!
    My father was in the same situation after the war.
    Ralph.

One additional tidbit of information. He has placed the Iron Cross 1st class in the wrong location. It is supposed to be centered on the pocket with other awards arranged outside of it in a semi circle. Not sure why this was done but we often see some non regulation things in period photos. NH

Neil, I did look up the Sudetenland medal on Wikepedia. I didn't even know he fought there, again more great information ....I also have photos of my father in Russia and other places that I cannot identify. Of course in Russia he is wearing an overcoat with an interesting hat. There are approximately 30 small photos from his time there including him sharing food and cigarettes with the Russian soldiers, ultimately part of the reason that he was stripped of rank . Sorry to ramble, just glad that I have some more information. His medals/awards/files were eventually destroyed by the Russians so photos is all I have.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast