Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

What's wrong with allied helmets?

Article about: I got into a brief discussion at a Fair the other day which has really made me thinkā€¦I was asked why I no longer collect TR lids and why the interest in them outweighs all other helmets / na

This ones got more input than I imagined it would......thank you all so far. It wasn't meant to be a comment about THIS forum or indeed any other specific forum.....but as has been said several times, it's sad when a professionally rusted post War piece wrapped with barbed wire gets so much interest and genuinely rare pieces from the other side gets nowt. But as JB says, there's clearly even worse (?) things to collect and....well, I guess we just ain't cool!

Quote by Composite View Post
    This ones got more input than I imagined it would......thank you all so far. It wasn't meant to be a comment about THIS forum or indeed any other specific forum.....but as has been said several times, it's sad when a professionally rusted post War piece wrapped with barbed wire gets so much interest and genuinely rare pieces from the other side gets nowt. But as JB says, there's clearly even worse (?) things to collect and....well, I guess we just ain't cool!
    You are the cool ones, its us Nazi's that aren't!
    "Per Ardua"

Great Thread Topic - And Thought-Provoking!
    I suppose this Hobby has its Quirks & Nuances much like other Hobbies do...As mentioned previously, the Internet has certainly altered many of the Challenges & Dynamics involved...It's much, much less an issue of finding that desired piece - it's become far more of an issue to find it at an affordable price, lol...Today I can look back and say that my early days of collecting - in the Mid-1970s-80s- when I was a kid in Germany, going into abandoned buildings and scouring Flea-Markets with precious little money in my pocket - were truly the most memorable, exciting years of my Collecting Career...
    cheers, Glenn

AIF
    ?

I should also note that it wasn't my intention to rubbish the forum at all and I hope it didn't come across that way. Out of all the forums I have been a member of over the years this one is by far the best and the one I always come back to, I was just voicing my observations. There are obviously still a lot of Allied collectors out there as I still have plenty of competition on eBay!
    Also it's not just this forum it is all forums, I can think of 3 or 4 that don't even exist now. The problem is that a lot of collectors have left the forums and moved over to facebook groups, I did for a while too but for me it's just not the same... Maybe we have just become those old guy's who are set in their ways and don't like change?

AIF
    ?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Great Thread Topic - And Thought-Provoking!
    I suppose this Hobby has its Quirks & Nuances much like other Hobbies do...As mentioned previously, the Internet has certainly altered many of the Challenges & Dynamics involved...It's much, much less an issue of finding that desired piece - it's become far more of an issue to find it at an affordable price, lol...Today I can look back and say that my early days of collecting - in the Mid-1970s-80s- when I was a kid in Germany, going into abandoned buildings and scouring Flea-Markets with precious little money in my pocket - were truly the most memorable, exciting years of my Collecting Career...
    cheers, Glenn
    I hear you mate, Those were my most memorable collecting days too! Everything was so fresh and new as I hadn't already seen 1000 pictures of the same thing on a computer screen and every new find was a rush! The excitement of finding an old helmet or an old belt or pretty much any old army thing at a local car boot market or dusty old cobweb filled secondhand store completely outweighs the click a button transfer the money and it is in your mail box within a week world we collect in today, but then again don't get me wrong the internet also has it's blessings and has made so much more available too. I was only just recently talking to a collector friend of mine who is younger than me about collecting pre internet days and I don't think he could fully grasp the concept. I even pulled out some old mail and postal order catalogues from the early 90's and showed him and he laughed... Kids these days

Quote by AIF View Post
    The problem is that a lot of collectors have left the forums and moved over to facebook groups, I did for a while too but for me it's just not the same... Maybe we have just become those old guy's who are set in their ways and don't like change?
    No Worries, Friend...Your Candor is appreciated and your Points are Valid...I joined a few of the Facebook Groups but primarily for Selling rather than the Friendly Banter and mutual exchange of information experienced here...My experience with the Facebook Groups and Other Forums includes too many Administrators and Beginning Collectors harboring more Ego than Collecting Experience and Knowledge, lol...
    I still say that WRF is the Best Militaria Forum on the Web...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by AIF View Post
    I hear you mate, Those were my most memorable collecting days too! Everything was so fresh and new as I hadn't already seen 1000 pictures of the same thing on a computer screen and every new find was a rush! The excitement of finding an old helmet or an old belt or pretty much any old army thing at a local car boot market or dusty old cobweb filled secondhand store completely outweighs the click a button transfer the money and it is in your mail box within a week world we collect in today, but then again don't get me wrong the internet also has it's blessings and has made so much more available too. I was only just recently talking to a collector friend of mine who is younger than me about collecting pre internet days and I don't think he could fully grasp the concept. I even pulled out some old mail and postal order catalogues from the early 90's and showed him and he laughed... Kids these days
    EXACTLY!! Well Stated...Nothing quite like that feeling in your gut when you stumbled across something WWI or WWII Related in an old shack or basement, lol...Those are Stories worthy of their own Thread...Wishing you All much success in your collecting endeavor...
    cheers, Glenn

AIF
    ?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    No Worries, Friend...Your Candor is appreciated and your Points are Valid...I joined a few of the Facebook Groups but primarily for Selling rather than the Friendly Banter and mutual exchange of information experienced here...My experience with the Facebook Groups and Other Forums includes too many Administrators and Beginning Collectors harboring more Ego than Collecting Experience and Knowledge, lol...
    Mate you hit the nail on the head with that comment! But you also forgot to mention, the nutjobs those groups attract and the god awful cringeworthy "selfies" taken in bathroom mirrors that grown men post of themselves wearing their WW2 uniforms...

It should also be said that there's "Something" about German Helmets especially that attracts some of the most bizarre Characters you'll ever come across, LOL...
    cheers, Glenn

AIF
    ?

What good would a now 3 page thread about Allied helmets be without at least a picture of a helmet in it?

I'll start... Here is my uncle showing off a shrapnel hole in his helmet put there by one of those guys in the "cool" helmets at El Alamein
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What's wrong with allied helmets?  

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast