Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

The Kaiser's men’s medals

Article about: The Kaiser's men’s medals (and Homelands) Some time ago acquiring this postcard for my collection. It’s a small piece of art on paper that someone used on April 21, 1916 It’s an incred

You're saying that the Richthofen medals on display are his actual awards, saved by his sister?

I'm wondering the same thing.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Well, if we believe the information from the Air & Space Museum of San Diego, I would say yes....

P.S.

I just found the next:

It is a letter from a reader of this magazine. I think it sheds some light on this issue.

A fascinating and timely letter from one of readers with details of the medals supposedly belonging to Manfred von Richthofen displayed in an American museum. Are they all that they seem?

In issue No. 6 of Iron Cross Magazine, Dr Aaron Pegram examined a number of objects held by the Australian War Memorial associated with Manfred von Richthofen and therein stated: ‘...the San Diego Air and Space Museum is said to have Richthofen’s medal group, including his Pour le Merite.’

Aaron Pegram was rightfully careful with his words, given that most things associated with the ‘Red Baron’ must be viewed with a heavy dose of scepticism – especially in respect of definitive statements about what items of his ended up where. However, from blogs posted by the museum, they do seem fairly confident they have the real deal. If that is the case, then what do we really know about the provenance of the objects in San Diego?

I have sought to answer that question and, if possible, to conclusively confirm or dispel the museum’s claim of holding Manfred von Richthofen’s medal group and Pour le Merite.

First, I contacted the current San Diego Air & Space Museum (SDASM) Curator/ Restorations Director, Terry Brennan.

Terry acknowledged the museum has a collection of medals earned by Richthofen, although not necessarily his personally, but claimed they do have his Blue Max.

Terry admitted the museum has no extant provenance (that which they had was destroyed in a fire) for the medal group or Pour le Merite: ‘…only the word of long-time friends of the museum that the Blue Max was donated to the museum by the niece of the Red Baron who lived in nearby Chula Vista, CA.’ And, that: ‘…the museum had the Pour le Merite X-rayed several years ago and all indications were that the medal is indeed that which belonged to the Red Baron.’

I am not a metallurgist but cannot imagine how this would reveal how any Pour le Merite belonged to any person, let alone Richthofen. However, I did follow up with Willis ‘Bill’ Allen, former Director of the SDASM and current owner of Allen Airways Flying Museum. He told me the medal now on display is part of a medal collection he purchased for $600 in the mid-1960’s while attending Arizona State University in Tempe, and later donated the collection to the museum. He claims the medal group he purchased and donated to the museum is the same as shown in the Cross & Cockade journal (Vol 11, No.3 1970), and originally displayed in the former International Aerospace Hall of Fame.

For additional information, he directed me to another source who confirmed the museum’s claims are unsupported by any convincing provenance and have evolved into urban myths, proliferated over the decades by volunteers. He stated the unsupported claims have been a topic of debate among professional staff at the museum but have never been rectified.

The Pour le Merite displayed on Manfred’s Ordenskissen, and in period photos of him wearing his Blue Max, show two significant differences from the award held in the SDASM’S collection:

1) The four arms of the Maltese Cross have much deeper ‘V’s in period photos of Manfred wearing his award than the shallower ‘V’s evident in the SDASM example.

2) The clasp holding the Maltese Cross to the ribbon is a solid pie-shaped wedge in the SDASM’S medal, while it is clearly a thin baroque loop in period photos of Manfred wearing the award.

The SDASM’S claim that their Blue Max was donated by Manfred’s niece equally seems an urban myth and the identity of such a ‘niece’ is a total mystery. But perhaps some very distant Richthofen relative did live in southern California years ago, and claimed a much closer genealogical relationship than warranted?

Either way, the Pour le Merite she allegedly donated to the museum is highly unlikely to have been Manfred’s. Wade Eakle US Army Corps of Engineers, South Pacific Division, San Francisco, CA. (By email)

Thanks for that, I was highly sceptical of this museum's claims. I have been collecting nearly 50 years now and have never heard of the actual Richthofen medals surviving the capture of Schweidnitz by the Soviets.

MECKLENBURG-SCHWERIN

Mecklenburg-Schwerin was a German Grand Duchy (Grossherzogtum Mecklenburg-Schwerin) located on the German Baltic coast, between Schleswig-Holstein to the west and the Prussian province of Pomerania to the northeast.

Grossherzogtum Mecklenburg-Schwerin

Its population of 620,000 inhabitants extended over a territory of 13,127 km2. Its capital was the city of Schwerin, which currently has a population of 96,000.

Schwerin

After the unification of Germany in 1871, it was one of the states of the German Empire. Their form of government was that of a monarchy. Executive power was in the hands of the Grand Duke, assisted by a ministerial cabinet. During World War I, the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin was Frederick Francis IV (10 April 1897 – 14 November 1918). He abdicated with the German Revolution of 1919.

Adolf Friedrich VI Grossherzog von Mecklenburg-Strelitz und Regent von Mecklenburg Schwerin

After the defeat of 1918 and the Revolution of 1919, the Grand Duchy was abolished, becoming the Free State of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Freistaat Mecklenburg-Schwerin) during the period of the Weimar Republic. During Nazism it merged with its neighboring state of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, forming the United State of Mecklenburg. After the Second World War, the territory came under Soviet occupation and in 1947, when the GDR was formed, it became the Land of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern). After reunification in 1990 it remained the same, as one of the sixteen German federal states, with its capital in Schwerin.

To determine what this state contributed to the Empire, we must know

ITS POLITICAL WEIGHT.
    The German imperial parliament was structured in the Constitution of 1871, in the form of a bicameral system, composed of the Reichstag of 397 deputies, divided among the states of the Empire in proportion to their population; and the Bundesrat, with 61 territorial representatives
    Mecklenburg-Schwerin provided 6 deputies to the Reichstag and 2 territorial representatives to the Bundesrat.

ITS MILITARY CONTRIBUTION.
    At the beginning of World War I, the Imperial German Army, which was structured on the basis of a regimental unit based on territory, consisted of 218 infantry, 110 cavalry, 101 field artillery and 25 heavy artillery regiments.
    Mecklenburg-Schwerin contributed 2, 2 and 1 to Kaiserliches Heer respectively with Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

DECORATION

The Militär Verdienstkreuz 1914. II Klasse.

The decoration had existed since 1848. The Militär Verdienstkreuz 1914. II Klasse was instituted on 28 February 1915 by Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.

It was granted without distinction of rank to the subjects of the Grand Duchy who were members of the Imperial German Army, for acts of proven courage in front of the enemy. It had a non-combatant version with a red central band and a white-yellow border; and first-class brooch-shaped version.

It's a 42 mm. gold-plated alloy metal cross in the shape of an Iron Cross (with slightly thinner arms) with a profiled raised flange and a fine granulated interior, with a welded suspension ring. Obverse: Crown of the Grand Duchy on the bigram of Friedrich Franz IV (FF), Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. The date 1914, on the lower arm. Reverse, the legend "Für Auszeichnung im Kriege" (For Distinction in War). A total of 76,615 crosses were awarded.

EK2 1914 - Mecklenburg Schwerin MVO

EK2 1914 - Mecklenburg Schwerin MVO - Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer 1914-1918

MECKLENBURG-STRELITZ

Mecklenburg-Strelitz was a German Grand Duchy (Grossherzogtum Mecklenburg-Strelitz) located on the German Baltic coast, at the eastern end of Mecklenburg Schwerin, with a small exclave in Schleswig-Holstein.

Grossherzogtum Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Its population of about 100,000 inhabitants was spread over a territory of 2,926 km2. Its capital was the city of Neustrelitz, which currently has a population of 22,000.

Neustrelitz

After the unification of Germany in 1871, it was one of the states of the German Empire. Their form of government was that of a monarchy. Executive power was in the hands of the Grand Duke. During World War I the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin was Adolf Frederick VI (11 June 1914 – 23 February 1918) The position of Regent was held by the Grand Duke of Schwerin, Frederick Francis IV, who abdicated with the German Revolution of 1919.

Adolf Friedrich VI Grossherzog von Mecklenburg-Strelitz und Regent von Mecklenburg Schwerin

After the defeat of 1918 and the Revolution, the Grand Duchy was abolished, becoming the Free State of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (Freistaat Mecklenburg-Strelitz) during the Weimar Republic. With Nazism it merged with its neighboring state of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, forming the United State of Mecklenburg. After the Second World War, the territory came under Soviet occupation and in 1947, when the GDR was formed, it became the Land of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern). After reunification in 1990 it remained the same, as one of the sixteen German federal states, with its capital in Schwerin.

To determine what this state contributed to the Empire, we must know

ITS POLITICAL WEIGHT.
    The German imperial parliament was structured in the Constitution of 1871, in the form of a bicameral system, composed of the Reichstag of 397 deputies, divided among the states of the Empire in proportion to their population; and the Bundesrat, with 61 territorial representatives
    Mecklenburg-Strelitz provided 1 deputy to the Reichstag and 1 territorial representative to the Bundesrat.

ITS MILITARY CONTRIBUTION.
    At the beginning of World War I, the Imperial German Army, which was structured on the basis of a regimental unit based on territory, consisted of 218 infantry, 110 cavalry, 101 field artillery and 25 heavy artillery regiments.
    Mecklenburg-Strelitz contributed some battalions to complete, together with Schwerin, respectively, 2, 2 and 1 regiments to the Kaiserliches Heer.

DECORATION

The Cross for distinction in the war of 1914. II class.

The award had existed since 1871. The Kreuz für auszeichnung im Kriege 1914. II Klasse was instituted on 11 August 1914 by Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich VI of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

It was granted without distinction of rank to the subjects of the Grand Duchy who were members of the imperial army, for acts of proven courage in the face of the enemy. It had a non-combatant version with a red central band and a white-yellow border; and first-class brooch-shaped version.

This is a 40mm silver-plated copper cross. The arms with a striped flange and smooth interior. Welded suspension ring. Obverse with central circular medallion with the bigram of Grand Duke Adolf Frederick II ("AF" in ornate script) under the wreath of Strelitz, surrounded by a wreath of laurel leaves. On the lower arm, the date "1914". Reverse, on its large central medallion inscribed the legend "Tapfer und Treue" (Brave and Faithful). Some 8,000 crosses were awarded.

EK2 1914 - Mecklenburg Strelitz MVO

EK2 1914 + Mecklenburg Strelitz MVO + Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer 1914-1918

Default Who is who. 1863

As we already know, Austria had traditionally been the main power among the German states, but after the German Revolution of 1848, Austria was marginalized and although Austria and Prussia returned to working together, around 1859 deep conflicts arose again.

With the idea of not losing the leadership of the German states, Austria presented a bill to reform the German Confederation, seeking something similar to a federal state. And in which it can continue to play a predominant position over the other German states, including Prussia.

The Frankfurt Fürstentag was a meeting of German princes who discussed this reform of the German Confederation. It took place from August 17 to September 1, 1863 at the invitation of the Emperor of Austria, in Frankfurt am Main.

The summit began on August 16 with a gala dinner at the Römer (Frankfurt City Hall) and fireworks.

The Römer - Frankfurt City Hall (the place remains the same today)

But King William I of Prussia, who was in the spa of Baden-Baden, was not present at the inauguration. So King John of Saxony was sent to see him on August 20, with the formal invitation of the Austrian Emperor, but King William I, pressured by his Chancellor Bismarck, rejected it.

King William I, photograph from 1863

The Baden Baden Kurhaus - Spa (the place remains the same today)

The other states participating in the Fürstentag, with Prussia remaining on the sidelines, did not dare to sign binding agreements. The negotiations inevitably came to an end. Therefore, the Austrian plan to reform the German Confederation failed....

The free seat of the King of Prussia, next to Emperor Francis Joseph I of Austria, says it all

Bismarck, as we have already seen, had other plans to achieve the supremacy of Prussia and was not going to give up betting everything to prevail over Austria.

Fürstentag Frankfurt 1863, final photo

Final photo of the Frankfurt Princes' Day in the garden of the Palais Thurn and Taxis on Frankfurt am Main, September 1, 1863

1. Duke Ernst II of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
    2. Frederick, Hereditary Prince of Anhalt
    3. Friedrich Franz II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
    4. Frederick William II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
    5. Adolf I Georg, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe
    6. Samuel Gottlieb Müller, Mayor of the Free City of Frankfurt
    7. Grand Duke Carl Alexander of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach
    8. King Johann of Saxony
    9. Peter II, Grand Duke of Oldenburg
    10. King Maximilian II Joseph of Bavaria
    11. Karl Ludwig Roeck, Mayor of Lübeck
    12. Heinrich LXVII, Prince of Reuss, younger line
    13. Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria
    14. Wilhelm Friedrich Heinrich of Orange-Nassau, Prince of the Netherlands (for Luxembourg)
    15. Nicolaus Ferdinand Haller, Mayor of Hamburg
    16. King George V of Hanover
    17. Georg Viktor, Prince of Waldeck-Pyrmont
    18. Elector Friedrich Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel
    19. Friedrich Günther, Prince of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt
    20. Johann II, Prince of Liechtenstein
    21. Bernhard II, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen
    22. Günther Friedrich Carl II, Prince of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen
    23. Arnold Duckwitz, Mayor of Bremen
    24. Grand Duke Friedrich I of Baden
    25. Adolph, Duke of Nassau
    26. William, Duke of Braunschweig
    27. Grand Duke Ludwig III. from Hesse-Darmstadt and near the Rhine
    28. karl, Crown Prince of Württemberg

Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 02-05-2024 at 12:31 AM.

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast