Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Order of the Precious Crown 6th Class

Article about: Greetings, I have always found the Order of the Precious Crown to be a stunningly beautiful award, especially in the higher, enameled classes. Although I did go after a 3rd Class cased award

?

Default Order of the Precious Crown 6th Class

Greetings,

I have always found the Order of the Precious Crown to be a stunningly beautiful award, especially in the higher, enameled classes. Although I did go after a 3rd Class cased award in an auction last year (and got smoked, I might add) I was able to pick-up this beautiful cased 6th Class via private sale. It really came into its own after the seller did some clean-up of the enameled surfaces.

I use Peterson’s Orders and Medals as my basic guide, but I always search various forums and JapanX’s Medals of Asia website for additional information and wonderful color pictures. While doing so I discovered something not mentioned in Peterson: on the top “rising sun” disc of the headdress is a representation of Yatagarasu, the mythical three-legged crow (technically “eight-span crow”). Shame on me for not doing a thorough inspection of my piece with a 25X magnifying glass in good light, but after my little research project I trotted out the magnifier and there was Yatagarasu, plain as day.

Regarding my piece: (1) it has a PF hallmark on the reverse at 6h (see below) and (2) the silver of the central medallion has a pleasing blue-hued tarnish to it. I note that as of today PF is not listed on Medals of Asia’s Two Letter and Letter-Digit Marks on Japanese Orders and Medals webpage at
    Two-letter and letter-digit Marks on Japanese Orders and Medals | Medals of Asia

I hope that you enjoy this aesthetically enchanting award.

Tracy

Obverse with rosette:

Close-up of enameled leaves. Note the silver outlines and stems.

Close-up of the wave crests. Beautiful enameling.

Although not the best picture, but the best one that I could get, there is Yatagarasu. As a bonus, in this picture the blue-hued tarnish to the central medallion really stands out.

Plain reverse. Note: the photo shows the reverse darker than it really is.

Close-up of the mark PF.

Finally, the lacquered case lid.

Probably nothing will come of it, but I sent an email query to the Cabinet Office asking about the "PF" on the reverse side.

Not sure of my grammar:

友人の勲六等の裏面は "PF" が掘りました。 工房の名前、または年は何でしょう ?

An acquaintance's Order of the Precious Crown, 6th Class has "PF" engraved on the reverse side. What is the name of the workshop or year [that it was produced]?

Cheers,
    -- Guy

Probably nothing will come of it, but I sent an email query to the Cabinet Office asking about the "PF" on the reverse side.

Not sure of my grammar:

友人の勲六等の裏面は "PF" が掘りました。 工房の名前、または年は何でしょう ?

An acquaintance's Order of the Precious Crown, 6th Class has "PF" engraved on the reverse side. What is the name of the workshop or year [that it was produced]?

Disregard the � � ... they showed up and oblitered the か that should have been there.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

?

Good Evening Guy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact the Cabinet Office. I greatly appreciate your assistance.

Have a good evening.

Tracy