Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

1st Pattern Schwerin Schnellboot-Kriegsabzeichen Tombak

Article about: This just arrived in the mail today. A nice but well worn 1st pattern 7.01 tombak Schwerin S-Boot award. Schwerin is the only maker of a tombak version of the 1st pattern S-Boat Most of gold

MAP
    ?

Default 1st Pattern Schwerin Schnellboot-Kriegsabzeichen Tombak

This just arrived in the mail today. A nice but well worn 1st pattern 7.01 tombak Schwerin S-Boot award. Schwerin is the only maker of a tombak version of the 1st pattern S-Boat

Most of gold wash is gone but some still present. All of the white wash is gone. Some remnants of the dark grey wash on the waves present as well.

Weight of 22.4grams and dimensions of 44.9 and 57mm all conform to standards. Known die flaw below the makers mark is present as well. Hinge and clasp all are textbook.

Post my purchase there was further discussion on another forum regarding a few points although the consensus was that it is original. Most notably what appears to be some of the grey wash applied to the waves also further up on the rear of the boat near the deck flag as well as an untypical finish on the reverse. Hopefully these close up photos will help.

IMHO an original award with some honest tunic worn wear.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Double click to enlarge photos. I have tried to take photos of all areas where observations were raised.

Regards,

Michael

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1st Pattern Schwerin Schnellboot-Kriegsabzeichen Tombak
    P
    Many

To me it looks like a good unmessed with original ?

Cheers,Martin.

MAP
    ?

Quote by martinw View Post
    To me it looks like a good unmessed with original ?

Cheers,Martin.
    Thanks Martin. My thoughts as well. I always appreciate your greater knowledge of these awards!

I noticed now that the "die" flaw is not visible from the photos...but I can gty that it is there.

So three more to go before I move on to Luft awards in 2018. Will be a tall order as I'm hoping to find nice early Schwerin examples if possible. I do however want to upgrade the minesweeper as it has a broken pin and I have a Navy Narvik coming in Sept

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice set.

Are they all Schwerin ?

You need to get one of these.

Cheers,Martin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Pattern Schwerin Schnellboot-Kriegsabzeichen Tombak   1st Pattern Schwerin Schnellboot-Kriegsabzeichen Tombak  

one of these too. In Tombak only
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Pattern Schwerin Schnellboot-Kriegsabzeichen Tombak   1st Pattern Schwerin Schnellboot-Kriegsabzeichen Tombak  

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    one of these too. In Tombak only
    Nice set.

Are they all Schwerin ?

You need to get one of these.

Cheers,Martin.
    The top 3 are Schwerin. the others are Deumer, Rettemeir and Linden. (I will eventually look for tombak Schwerin versions of the bottom three but that will be more opportunistic. Want to source the missing pieces to complete the set first...)

And the missing three (Aux, Blockade and U-Boat Clasp) are going to be hard to find...so I have to be patient...

...Unless of course I interpret both of your posts as offers to sell me your beautiful examples? LoL I will wait for your PM's

To complete the KM set I would also try to find a nice 2nd pattern S-Boot.

The AS in triangle examples had a far more superior finish applied to them than the other makers and appear to be the choice of many collectors.

Cheers,Martin.

MAP
    ?

To complete the KM set I would also try to find a nice 2nd pattern S-Boot.

The AS in triangle examples had a far more superior finish applied to them than the other makers and appear to be the choice of many collectors.

Cheers,Martin.
    Now your making it that much more difficult...I guess I will also have to get both the silver and bronze U-Boat Clasp and then the KM Honor Role clasp and then the who knows after that...... LoL

But of course you are correct...and that is the issue with this hobby and those dang Germans and their love for awards...they produced so many awards and variations that you will never really ever be finished...

I will however keep my eye out for an AS...but that also means I need a bigger shadow box...