Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 51 91 97 98 99 100 101
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1010

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

?

This is one of my few cards, to Gefreiter Karl Eggerath - whom I believe to have been a motorcyclist from a Fallschirmjäger unit, serving in North Africa, killed at Bizerta - though I have always struggled with the script.
    Any help in translating this unusually full story will be greatly appreciated.
    With my thanks in advance,
    Robert.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

Karl Eggerrath

Date of birth

Place of birth
    -

Death/missing date

Death/missing place
    -

Service rank
    Gefreiter

Karl Eggerrath is buried in the military cemetery in Bordj-Cedria .

Endgrablage: Hof MAT Ossario 2 Tafel 17

His cause of death has something to do with his Chest. Not sure at the moment the exact.
    Post your death notices

Edit, Rose was quicker on the draw.

Hi Robert.

My eyes have given up, but the script basically says that he was a good person who was raised to believe in the holy spirit. He volunteered for the Wehrmacht and from 11 August 1941 he first served in the Luftwaffe in France. After his holiday in the following year he was trained in the parachute troops and was deployed in the Afrika Korps.

His Erkennungsmarke (dog tag) points to him first being a member of

62807 -

Luftwaffen Abteilung 7, später Stab Luftwaffen Abteilung 41
    Stab/Korps Nachrichten Abteilung 1 (L)
    Stab/Fallschirm Nachrichten Abteilung 12

Here is some info about Kurt -

Name: Karl Eggerrath
    Birth Date: 8 May 1923
    Birth Place: Erkelenz
    Military Unit: Stab I./Luftwaffer Regiment Barenthin
    Death Date: 8 March 1943
    Death Place: 5km Straße Bazina - Mateur, Tunisien

His cause of death is noted as Schwer Verwundet: Mine. Verstorben: Truppenverbandplatz (Severely wounded: mine. Deceased: Troop dressing area)

Karl Eggerrath is buried in the military cemetery in Bordj-Cedria, Tunisia.
    Endgrablage: Hof MAT Ossario 2 Tafel 17.

Karl Eggerrath | Grabersuche-Online

This is only then third death card to a member of this unit that I have come across. I actually found out about this Regiment recently due to research for a death card to a member of the 10th company. You can check it out in the link below, along with some information about Regiment Barenthin.

Post #987 -
    Post your death notices

The Regiment was absolutely mauled in Italy and north Africa and there are so many casualty cards for these men (I have actually seen Karls details before).

Kind regards

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 05-21-2024 at 08:30 PM.

?

Thank you so much for the information, and links, chaps!
    I did suspect that his motorcycle hit a mine, but was unsure of my translation. I could pick out odd words, here and there, but there were too many blanks in between to be sure of much.

He looks so young. Far younger than his twenty years…
    Nothing.

I shall enjoy reading all the links and unit history you kindly provide.
    My sincerest thanks for your generous help,
    Robert.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Thank you so much for the information, and links, chaps!
    I did suspect that his motorcycle hit a mine, but was unsure of my translation. I could pick out odd words, here and there, but there were too many blanks in between to be sure of much.

He looks so young. Far younger than his twenty years…
    Nothing.

I shall enjoy reading all the links and unit history you kindly provide.
    My sincerest thanks for your generous help,
    Robert.

Hi Robert.

We are glad to help out.

Here is a more detailed translation of the script. It is not word perfect, but will give you a good idea of what it says.

Karl Eggerath was born in Erkelenz on May 8, 1923. He was brought up in a godly spirit. For the love and care he received in his parents' and grandparents' house, he proved to be attentive until his early end Gratitude in attitude and deed.

Friends and acquaintances liked to see him because of his youthful, cheerful nature and his courtesy. After school, he was a locksmith and learned the plumbing trade. Thereupon he found a setting for a short time in a great work.

Then he volunteered for the Wehrmacht. From 11 August 1941 he first served in the Luftwaffe in France. After his holiday in the following year he was trained in the parachute troops and was deployed in the Afrika Korps.

Already on the way he received the baptism of fire in the pursuit by enemy planes. After several hours of exciting battle with Enemies and floods, he managed to be rescued from hard distress at sea. Took part in the fighting in Tunisia.

On the morning of March 8, 1943, he had one assignment as a motorcyclist. In courageous haste, he opened up. Half an hour later, comrades brought him back to his troop unit mortally wounded.

He had hit a mine. Before his entourage could take him to the main dressing station, his soldier's life had been fulfilled. On the road Bizerta = Beja, 12.3km south of Mateur, he rests in the shade of peaceful palm trees in the heroes' cemetery of his battalion.

Heartfelt sympathy turns to the parents who have sacrificed their only child. Grateful reverence for the homeland went to the expensive favour will be given to them, the grandparents and the bride as well as the the consolation of a pious memory for the deceased hero.

He stirs in eternal peace.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Will,
    Thank you!
    It sounds as if his ship was hit, or sunk, on the way to Tunisia, and he was rescued from the sea.
    Far too much ‘excitement’ before even reaching his destination!
    I cannot get over how young he looks and, indeed, was.
    I have just spent the last few hours reading, copying and absorbing all the information from the various pages you linked. To know a little of Karl’s story, his short life, has imbued this little card with so much more depth and sadness. I shall ensure this detail is kept with the card.
    Thank you.

My pleasure.

It certainly does sound like his journey was eventful. I agree, he really looks a lot younger then his years. His Regiment is very interesting and they were described as being the best troops in north Africa by Alexander (I think this would be Field Marshall Harold Alexander). Unfortunately there is not a great deal of information that can be found about the Regiment, so it is a case of piecing together little bits from various sources. It is the reason I like to collect death cards, you can uncover interesting information and more importantly you can learning about the human story of a potentially forgotten soldier.
    Last edited by Willmore; 05-19-2024 at 07:24 PM.

?

Very well said, Will.
    It’s all about the people.

So helpful, these image to text programs. Didn't check for mistakes but I think it looks quite good:

"Sollte auch unsere Zeit gekommen sein, laßt uns als Helden sterben für unser Brüder und keinen Rakel bringen auf unsere Ehre".

Karl Eggerrath war geboren zu Erkelenz am 8. Mai 1923. In gottesfürchtigem Geiste wurde er erzogen. Für die Liebe und Sorge, die er im elterlichen und großelterlichen Hause erfahren hatte, bewies er vis zu seinem frühen Ende eine aufmerk same Dankbarkeit in Gesinnung und Tat. Freunde und Bekannte sahen ihn gern wegen seines jugendlich frohen Wesens und seiner Zuvorkommenheit. Nach der Schulzeit hatte er das Schlosser- und Klempnerhandwerk erlernt. Darauf fand er für kurze Zeit Einstellung in einem großen Werk. Dann meldete er sich freiwillig zur Wehrmacht. Seit dem 11. August 1941 stand er zunächst bei der Luftwaffe in Frankreich. Nach seinem Urlaub im folgenden Jahre wurde er bei den Fallschirmjägern ausgebildet und kam zum Einsatz im Afrikakorps. Schon unterwegs erhielt er die Feuertaufe in der Verfolgung durch feindliche Flieger. Nach stündigem aufregenden Kampf mit Feinden und Fluten gelang ihm die glückliche Rettung aus harter Scenot. Ernahm teil an den Kämpfen in Tunesien. Am Morgen des 8. März 1943 hatte er einen Auftrag als Kraftradfahrer auszuführen. In mutiger Bereitschaft machte er sich auf. Eine halbe Stunde später brachten ihn Kameraden tödlich verwundet zu seinem Truppenteil zurück. Er war auf eine Mine geraten. Noch che seine Umgebung ihn zum Haupt- verbandsplatz bringen konnte, hatte sich sein Soldatenleben erfüllt. An der Straße Bizerta-Beja, 12,3 km südlich von Mateur, ruht er auf dem Helden- friedhof seines Bataillons im Schatten friedlicher Palmen.
    Inniges Mitgefühl wendet sich den Eltern zu, die ihr einziges Kind geopfert haben und nun ihr Heim vereinsamt und leer sehen. Dankbare Ehrfurcht der Heimat gegen den teuren Gefalle nen wird ihnen, den Großeltern und der Braut sowie den übrigen Angehörigen den Trost eines frommen Ge- denkens für den verstorbenen Helden schenken.

"Should our time also come, let us die heroes for our. Brothers and bring no scrape on our honor”.

Karl Eggerrath was born in Erkelenz on May 8, 1923 and was brought up in a God-fearing spirit. For the love and care that he had experienced in his parents' and grandparents' home, he demonstrated a deep sense of gratitude in his attitude and actions right up to his early death. Friends and acquaintances liked to see him because of his youthful, cheerful nature and his courtesy. After leaving school, he learned the trades of locksmith and plumber. He then found employment for a short time in a large factory. He then volunteered for the Wehrmacht. From August 11, 1941, he initially served in the air force in France. After his leave the following year, he was trained with the paratroopers and was deployed in the Africa Corps. En route, he received his baptism of fire in pursuit by enemy aircraft. After hours of exciting combat with enemies and floods, he was luckily rescued from a harsh scenario. Took part in the fighting in Tunisia. On the morning of March 8, 1943, he had an assignment as a motorcyclist. He set off in courageous readiness. Half an hour later, comrades brought him back to his troop unit, mortally wounded. He had fallen on a mine. Even before those around him were able to take him to the main battlefield, his soldier's life had come to an end. On the Bizerta-Beja road, 12.3 km south of Mateur, he rests in the hero's cemetery of his battalion in the shade of peaceful palm trees.
    Heartfelt sympathy goes out to the parents who sacrificed their only child and now see their home lonely and empty. The grateful reverence of their homeland for their dear loved one will give them, the grandparents, the bride and the other relatives the consolation of a pious remembrance for the deceased hero.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Hi, dear paper collectors,

This is the death notice of SS-Oberschütze Martin Glößl, the baker of Neuötting.
    Martin passed away on the 5th of January 1942 in a homeland military hospital, after getting severely wounded on the 5th of July 1941, during the breakthrough of the Stalinlinie.
    So many Sterbebilder concerning the Stalinlinie passed my hands, it was a meat grinder over there. The Stalinlinie and Orel, definately saw these the most.

Kind regards,
    Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 51 91 97 98 99 100 101