Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Monte Cassino Cross

Article about: Can anyone help me find out who was originally awarded a monte cassino cross with with serial number 7 079. Thanks for your help.

?

Thank you Andrzej, another medal that wasn't mentioned before, nice one!
    Last edited by Fran; 02-28-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Hello Fran,

Sorry for a late answer but I left for the weekend and forgot my laptop so I was without access to the network...

Andrzej is right.

Monte Cassino Cross

This is a cord in red, white and navy blue with the coat of arms shield of Norway shows that the commando is a veteran of the Independent Podhalan Rifles Brigade.

Regards
    Konrad

Hello again Fran,

Today evening I have looked through the Daily Orders of the 1st Podhalan Rifle Battalion (Scotland), 02/01/1941 - 31/12/1941 and I have found the other list of awarded the Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) of March 17, 1941. It follows that your Grandfather was awarded the Cross of Valour for the first time:

Daily Orders of the 1st Podhalan Rifle Battalion (Scotland), 02/01/1941 - 31/12/1941: http://polishinstitute.com/r/15.pdf

Monte Cassino Cross
    Monte Cassino Cross

On the list you posted earlier, in his surname was an error - it was "KUBICZAK". In the list above his surname is spelled correctly.

Regards
    Konrad

Fran,

While looking through the Daily Orders of the 1st Podhalan Rifle Battalion (Scotland), 02/01/1941 - 31/12/1941 I also came across the Daily Order of March 28, 1941 according to which your Grandad was obtained the right to wear a badge (ribbon) for wounds and injuries with one star (it means he was wounded one time). It follows that your Grandfather was wounded on the battlefield one of these days: 18, 20, 21, 22, 23 or 24th of May, 1940 during Norwegian Campaign:

Monte Cassino Cross
    Monte Cassino Cross

Daily Orders of the 1st Podhalan Rifle Battalion (Scotland), 02/01/1941 - 31/12/1941: http://polishinstitute.com/r/15.pdf

Regards
    Konrad

Fran,

Another one curiosity regarding your Grandad that I have found in the Daily Orders of the 1st Podhalan Rifle Battalion (Scotland), 02/01/1941 - 31/12/1941. It concerns Polish language training. The training covered soldiers who could not read and write in Polish. Their teachers were to be each two soldiers from each company chosen by their commanders. Your Grandfather is among soldiers who were selected to the training:

Monte Cassino Cross

Regards
    Konrad

?

Quote by conrado View Post
    This is a cord in red, white and navy blue with the coat of arms shield of Norway shows that the commando is a veteran of the Independent Podhalan Rifles Brigade.
    Thank you Konrad, it's a lot easier to see with drawings than it is with black and white / sepia pictures!

It follows that your Grandfather was wounded on the battlefield one of these days: 18, 20, 21, 22, 23 or 24th of May, 1940 during Norwegian Campaign
    this document in French pinpoints the date as being 19th May. He was brought back to Glasgow and stayed at a hospital until October.

Monte Cassino Cross

Your Grandfather is among soldiers who were selected to the training.
    yeah, he never received much of an education, it's nice to know that the military did frovide that in the "calmer" times that were 1941-1942, nice findings there!!
    Last edited by Fran; 03-02-2020 at 10:20 PM.

?

Hey everyone

it's been a hectic couple of weeks here, as it's been everywhere. I hope you're all safe and sound inside your homes.

I booked plane tickets two weeks ago to go to Warsaw in April to retrieve my grandfather's military record and personal belongings.

The next day the Archives announced they were closed to the public until further notice. The day after that both planes were cancelled and Poland closed its borders from France and Belgium.

It'll have to wait until way later, but there's no rush in any case. At least it didn't cost me anything.

I've received my grand father's record from the DOD. It's all in Polish though. Can you please help me in translating it?

It's all here. Please let me know if the resolution isn't enough.

Thank you for your help!!

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Monte Cassino Cross   Monte Cassino Cross  

Monte Cassino Cross   Monte Cassino Cross  

Monte Cassino Cross  

?

sorry for the pictures being sideways, they're all fine on my computer...

Hello Fran,

There's a lot of that. What exactly do you want to translate?

Regards
    Konrad

PS From 1st photo: your Grandfather 9. Civil occupation - coal miner according to his own testimony - some word abbreviations.

2nd photo is his 19. Course of military service:

18th January 1944 - injured in the right leg at Senio (then, after dressing the wound, he remained in the Commando unit), Daily Order of the Independent Commando Company No. 252/44

The next entry of 17th July 1944 is after the Battle of Monte Cassino - slightly wounded in the right hand at Case Nuove, then he went to the hospital, Daily Order of the Independent Commando Company No. 269/44

Follow-up:

1st photo:

KUBISIAK ALEKSANDER, English number: 12074

1. Born on the 8th December 1918 in Denim, Germany
    2. Parents' names: father: ..., mother: Zofia Kubisiak
    3. Family status: single
    4. Notify in case of accident: Stanisław Hac, Rary par, Rony-Oise (?) /France/
    5. Height: ... cm, Weight: ... kg, Chest circumference: ... cm, Height of ???, Physical body type: ..., Hair: dark blond, Eyebrow: dark blond, Eyes: dark blue, Nose: wavy, Lips: medium, Chin: receding flat, Face: rectangular, Special characters: two gunshot scars above the knee of the left leg
    6. Native language: Polish, Nationality: Polish, Faith: Roman Catholic
    7. Place of residence (last permanent before joining the army): Toireau par Tricot (?) /France/
    8. Civil education and language skills: in 1928 - 3 classes of primary school - T(P)oireau /France/ according to his own testimony, French in speaking and writing
    9. Civil occupation: coal miner according to his own testimony
    10. Military preparation: ................
    11. Military schools and courses: ................
    12. Rank: Rifleman (......), Lance Corporal (21st December 1942), Corporal (1st October 1944)
    13. Decisions of conscripts and military audit commissions:
    - Last capability category in Poland: he did not have
    - Last capability category in France: ????? according to his own testimony
    - Last capability category in UK: ....................

Military Restoration Command Coetquidan / 1939 / ????? (the same entry as in point 13.) Health Category A / signature of the Restoration Commander

14. Deferral: .................
    15. Allocation: infantry
    16. Shortening of active service: .....................
    17. Military specialty: rifleman infantry, "obsł. l.k.m." - handling of light machine gun
    18. Mobilization assignment: 21st August 1944 - Independent Commando Company

Question marks means that unfortunately I could not read it accurately.

Regards
    Konrad
    Last edited by conrado; 03-23-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast