Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Galician Division

Article about: Hello all! I came across this site doing some research on my father who was a member of the 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Galician). Specifically what type of camo shirts the

Default Galician Division

Hello all! I came across this site doing some research on my father who was a member of the 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Galician). Specifically what type of camo shirts they wore. I have posted a photo of his shirt, dated on the back July ‘44, when he was in training in Neuhammer. What was the name of this specific type of camo? I also have a photo of him with the ‘soft’ caps they wore, but not one in his helmet. The details of the cap are too hard to see, so just wondering if anyone also has a photo of the soft caps and helmets the Galician Division was issued. Finally, would anyone have any info on where to find uniforms/gear on the Division? The only items my father kept are the attached badges. Thanks in advance for all of your help, and for allowing me to join!

Galician Division
    Galician Division

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Galician Division
    P
    Many

Wonderful arm and collar badges !

The camo pattern of the tunic is known as (M44) 'Pea' Pattern.

I wonder what you dad would have thought of these two cuff titles ??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Galician Division  

Thanks for the quick reply! From what I’ve read, they were one of the only Divisions that did not wear a cuff title? I’ve also seen many Galician style rings for sale on eBay, supposedly dug up in Ukraine, but my dad said he was not issued one of those. Perhaps some made them for themselves, but this one seller seems to have far too many!

Regarding the camo, now that I know what to look for, I see many different colour patterns. Obviously as camo, no two are probably alike, but from the pictures I’ve seen on the net the colours seem slightly different between them. Is this just from aging/fading, different manufacturers, or did they try to change things up a bit? Thanks!

Quote by Mojorkr View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! From what I’ve read, they were one of the only Divisions that did not wear a cuff title? I’ve also seen many Galician style rings for sale on eBay, supposedly dug up in Ukraine, but my dad said he was not issued one of those. Perhaps some made them for themselves, but this one seller seems to have far too many!

Regarding the camo, now that I know what to look for, I see many different colour patterns. Obviously as camo, no two are probably alike, but from the pictures I’ve seen on the net the colours seem slightly different between them. Is this just from aging/fading, different manufacturers, or did they try to change things up a bit? Thanks!
    Hope these pix help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Galician Division   Galician Division  

Galician Division  

Comparison M44 camo ....... yours and mine !!

The complete set ?????

Also known as Erbsenmuster, tends to be strong on the brown tones. As for obtaining an example, very expensive these days.

Galician Division

?

Here is a Headgear variation of the 14.SS Div. Galician DivisionGalician Division

?

It seems most are wearing the common single or double button M-43 caps.Galician DivisionGalician Division

Thanks for the photos! Was there a difference between the one and two button versions, ie. did they come out in different years or were they meant for different ranks? I’ve noticed in those photos it’s mostly the one button version….any reason why the one button version is plastic whereas the two button ones are metal? There seems to be a colour difference in the cloth between the two versions as well? Also, what’s the difference between the two caps in the photo with the pair of soldiers…one has a rim, the other looks ‘dressier’ without one? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast