Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

VN era M1

Article about: After reading carefully all the related posts here, I realized that the supposed Vietnam M1 helmet I bought many years ago was a Belgian pot with post 72 liner & components... Now I hope

Default VN era M1

After reading carefully all the related posts here, I realized that the supposed Vietnam M1 helmet I bought many years ago was a Belgian pot with post 72 liner & components...
    Now I hope this time I did my homeworks correctly:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture VN era M1   VN era M1  

VN era M1  

The shell should be a Dana Parish (4 small digits), while the liner is M27 marked on inner crown (Marmac?). Liner, headband and cover have DSA
    '67 markings, while the neckband is '66 made.

VN era M1   VN era M1  

VN era M1  
    Last edited by ziomanno; 09-30-2018 at 11:01 PM.

No markings at all on chin strap set; just traces of green paint. I know that in no way I could state that this helmet spent a single day in VN, but I'm interested in having a correct specimen of that era. What do you think about it?

VN era M1   VN era M1  

?

I don't collect Vietnam stuff, sorry that you got tricked.
    This forum has some very knowledgeable people on these helmets...

?

Hi Ziomanno
    Nice example of a Vietnam era M1, enjoy. The large 7 stamped on the webbing of the liner to the right of the DSA number and other markings confirms as you say that it’s a Marmac Liner.
    Out of curiousity what size are the numbers of the heat stamp in the shell?

When I first started collecting M1’s I made the same mistake of purchasing a Belgium Euro Clone thinking it was a legit US helmet. The advantage of that mistake is that I can spot a Euro Clone a mile away now.

I'll have a better look at my -Nam-era helmets. None are original sets but I found some nice liners lately so I'll see if I can make some nice sets. I do need more shells but I do have 100+ original covers to choose from.

Quote by Jimir View Post
    Out of curiousity what size are the numbers of the heat stamp in the shell?
    Hi Jimir; these are roughly 6mm (+ or - 0.25). Interestingly, the rim shows the same, round multi-spot welds found on "WW2" Parish produced shells.

VN era M1

And, yes, me too I took advantage by that lesson (and some other), and now I study as much as possible, even when I'm just looking for a tunic button

Very nice original set the chinstraps are North & Judd MFG as they supplied Parish,but the Anchor Logo was dropped in 1967,these are sold on ebay with the Anchor versions.also the Mitchell looks like a cotton twill variant,and the neoprene band is late 60's as this was around the time the "BAND HELMET CAMOFLAGE US" was add as previous types were left unmarked.cool looking lid use to have loads of these sets,just love the look of them.stick a few .30 rounds inert of course and some bug juice then it looks the nuts.!!!!

Thanks mate, very informative