Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed

Article about: Just got home from gunshow,found this Enfield 303,all matching including mag,has US property and flaming bomb proofs,looks in ex cond.Anyone have info on what it is?Paid 450.00,did I get hur

?

Either way its a nice 303 , I wish we could still have them here sob
    Cheers Rick

Quote by Rick W View Post
    Either way its a nice 303 , I wish we could still have them here sob
    Cheers Rick
    Miss the old days! Howard the coward!!!

Thanks guys!I think this rifle was probably bought in the 50s/60s in UK and brought over here,even the early imports before 1968 were marked England,or Germany etc.I have a old 30 cal luger made for commercial sales and its marked GERMANY.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Toecutter View Post
    Thanks Brodie!Why are there no import markings on rifle?Was it brought over here before import markings were required?
    Import marks were required starting in '68. So very probably it came in before that.

However, I'm not sure about Lend-Lease items. They were US property and thus assumed the stipulations were that they had to be returned to the US. But, did they have to be returned?? Were they allowed to be sold in a foreign country as surplus? And if so, I would assume it would then require an import mark ?

Someone here should know.....

I have a Savage No.4 Mk1* Enfield. It does not have an import mark on it either. I always assumed it was "returned" to the US Govt post war and then sold in the US as surplus.

Edit: TC: I took too long to type (went to check my Savage for import marks), but see you already had the data on import marks......
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Again I have seen prices increase considerably in the past 5-6 years concerning milsurp weapons. I often think that vintage military guns of most types have contracted "Mauseritis" Have seen a few 98ks go for what seems an incredible sum of money. However I am aware of the bidding wars that often occur. We all here know how auctions can bring crazy prices.

PRE
    ?

OP,
    Nice rifle, congratulations. $450 is definitely fair for one in that condition.

I just checked my 'US PROPERTY' Savage No.4 Mk.1* and it is import marked on the underside of the barrel, just below the muzzle, but that's because anything that comes in from overseas out of direct US service gets import marked. This one and my '43 Long Branch are two of my favorite milsurp rifles to shoot.

Pat

Thanks guys!Will see if I can find some 303 ammo around here and shoot it.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Toecutter View Post
    Thanks guys!Will see if I can find some 303 ammo around here and shoot it.
    Just pulled mine out....probably hasn't seen the light of day in 5+ years.

Enfield Savage No.4 Mk.1*
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice find TC and matching serial numbers on the bolt. What's the bore look like?, these are great shooting rifles and fully wooded spec examples very collectable now as many were sporterized post war.

Thanks guys!Anderson the bore is in excellent cond. should be a good shooter.Map that looks like a nice one!The yellow paint on nose cap has a meaning ,I would tear it down and look it over close.I know a yellow Z on the stock means there was something wrong with the rifle that could not be arsenal repaired,potential scrap .The paint is like a stoplight ,green or none good to go, yellow some problem,red unsafe, immediate scrap.Thats just what I read online.
    Last edited by Toecutter; 09-01-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast