Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My new British Pith helmet

Article about: by Bond Hi Nuno, sorry to say I am not a big fan of the markings and also it looks to have a removable liner which as far as I am aware was introduced in 1925 at the earliest. Me neather Jer

Default My new British Pith helmet

Hi, Bought this beautiful piece a few minutes ago.
    From ebay. According to seller its 1918 dated.

Enjoy.

Cheers.
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new British Pith helmet   My new British Pith helmet  

My new British Pith helmet   My new British Pith helmet  

Default Re: My new British Pith helmet

These Wolseley pattern piths are beautiful things.
    Im very happy with this purchase.

When it arrives i will post more photos.

Cheers.
    Nuno

Is that the one that was on ebay from a seller based in Bomber county? I noticed that they did not show the WD arrow date mark, which seemed a bit odd and this seller has a reputation for "pimping" items, though I don't know if that is justified or not as I have never bought anything from them. It will be good to see the markings when it arrives.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It appears to be a good OR's example and it looks to have the riveted liner which should date it to before 1925 when the removal Vero type liner was introduced.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Bond View Post
    Is that the one that was on ebay from a seller based in Bomber county? I noticed that they did not show the WD arrow date mark, which seemed a bit odd and this seller has a reputation for "pimping" items, though I don't know if that is justified or not as I have never bought anything from them. It will be good to see the markings when it arrives.
    Its the same one. i was unware of that.
    I also thought it was strange not showing the marks.
    But the helmet it self from what i know its a good one.

?

Strange that is says "Adopted by H.M. Govt" and no war dept arrow, the fact that the gold in the lettering is still bold suggests it was'nt worn very often

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Its the same one. i was unware of that.
    I also thought it was strange not showing the marks.
    But the helmet it self from what i know its a good one.
    No doubt the helmet is a good original, it is just when it dates from affects the value IMHO. As I posted earlier, be good to see the broad arrow mark when you get it. The use of red in the lining is usually a sign of an early example, but more commonly seen in officers examples from what I remember. My guess would be an inter wars date for this one, early 1920's seems most likely, but if the WD mark says 1918, probably dates from just after the end of the war.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Bond View Post
    No doubt the helmet is a good original, it is just when it dates from affects the value IMHO. As I posted earlier, be good to see the broad arrow mark when you get it. The use of red in the lining is usually a sign of an early example, but more commonly seen in officers examples from what I remember. My guess would be an inter wars date for this one, early 1920's seems most likely, but if the WD mark says 1918, probably dates from just after the end of the war.
    Hi Jerry, it has arrived.
    I will pick it up in a couple of hours.
    But here are some photos.
    Cheers.
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new British Pith helmet   My new British Pith helmet  

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Hi Jerry, it has arrived.
    I will pick it up in a couple of hours.
    But here are some photos.
    Cheers.
    Nuno
    Hi Nuno,

sorry to say I am not a big fan of the markings and also it looks to have a removable liner which as far as I am aware was introduced in 1925 at the earliest.
    Regards,

Jerry

I must agree , that type of helmet wasn't common before the late '20 ties....
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast